CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Foxtel from Telstra

Answered

I have been a loyal customer of Foxtel From Telstra for over 15 years. They don't appear in any way offering any options  for loyal customers. They are only interested in taking your money and increasing costs. The only contact I have is via email telling me of reduced channels but no cost reduction. I am also bitterly disappointed with my repeated phone calls requesting offers for loyal customers. The standard answer is to offer me to change to a new package (at increased cost and contract). A totally disgusted loyal customer of Foxtel from Telstra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Foxtel from Telstra

Foxtel set the pricing and channel offerings.

Foxtel from Telstra is effectively a single billing arrangement.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Foxtel set the pricing and channel offerings.

Foxtel from Telstra is effectively a single billing arrangement.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

I really don't understand how this could be an 'accepted solution', since it is almost completely off topic. Jupiter are you getting kickbacks from Telstra, because you seem singularly bent on defending their service (or lack thereof) ?

Common sense. So rare it's a SUPERPOWER.
Highlighted

Just because you don't like the truth, doesn't stop it from being the truth.

Foxtel sets the pricing for their product, not Telstra.

Telstra aren't going to offer any discounts if doing so isn't going to give them a commercial advantage. In this case, they would still need to pay Foxtel the same amount for the service.

And no. I'm not getting kickbacks from Telstra.

Highlighted

@No1_Customer 

I just wanted to let you know that @Jupiter  is unable to mark his answers as Accepted Solutions or give them Likes.    It was marked as an Accepted Solution because the information he gave was correct.

Hope this helps.
Deanna

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am on Day 7 or an "unplanned" Telstra Outage that is preventing me from getting Foxtel. They repeatedly blame Foxtel, who in turn blames Telstra. Still no television! I have been a Foxtel customer (either direct or via Telstra depending upon price) since its first year of operation. No loyalty whatsoever!

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I’ve been trying to cancel Sport Channels also, only able to add! How can we be charged for Live Sport when there’s nothing happening?

Highlighted

The truth?  Smiley Happy

• Telstra is a major shareholder of Foxtel.
• Telstra gains commercial advantage through the 'single billing arrangement' you describe.

• Customers are not currently able to cancel Foxtel subscriptions through Telstra.

The only practical way it seems to force change in these circumstances is for customers to stop paying for what they don't want and take matters into dispute.

Highlighted

What solution? I do not have any Foxtel. Try solving that issue!

Highlighted

What solution? I do not have Foxtel (and no Free To Air either as that comes down the cable as well). Perhaps Telstra (that is who I pay for Foxtel) could fix it (or arrange same). It has now been 1 week with no fix and no discussion / solution / compensation ... whatsoever!

PS: people are stuck at home in these trying times and not having the usual entertainment outlet options is sending us stir crazy.

A response from Telstra about what is wrong with the service would be a good start (instead of fobbing the issue off to Foxtel AND/OR not returning calls as promised (poor service is poor service regardless of being short staffed)!!!

Highlighted

No Deanna, that does not really help, but thank you for responding.

The initial post from @tmodel was about long term customers being rewarded for loyalty. This customer described being offered additional services, but only at increased cost and under revised contract terms. The response from @Jupiter was factual, yet did not fully address the issues raised by this customer, so is therefore deficient.

This topic is worth exploring further as it represents the views of a loyal and long standing customer, so presents good opportunity for Telstra to demonstrate customer service, which is clearly not happening. 

I hope this helps to clarify. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I was directed to a number on this Telstra crowd support  and after waiting 45 min I was speaking to Foxtel who then told me I need to be speaking to Telstra .

Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director

@No1_Customer I wouldn't call 35% a major shareholding.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Highlighted

Neither does Corporations Law where there are only 2 shareholders.

Highlighted

If you have Foxtel from Telstra, you need to call 132200 and say "Foxtel" at the prompt.

Highlighted

@jhwiz @Jupiter 
Telstra are indeed a major shareholder with a 35% stake in Foxtel, but they are not the MAJORITY shareholder. READ CAREFULLY...

Highlighted

@No1_Customer So one shareholder is the majority and the other is the major? 

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Highlighted

Sharp like a bowling ball jh.

Foxtel has two shareholders, News Corp and Telstra, i.e. two major shareholders (or two main shareholders if you prefer). News Corp is the majority shareholder.
So look mate I'm not here to split hairs, argue semantics or to teach you highschool maths and economics, so how about we get back to the topic at hand: the original post from @tmodel was about long term customers being rewarded for loyalty. Telstra is obviously not in a position where this is desirable given the context of their relationship with Foxtel. Savvy?

Highlighted

I agree. I pay $29 per month for sport that does not have live content. I have asked Telstra, in writing, to remove that element from my subscription. Why pay for something that is not being provided? We will see what happens there.

I have had an extended outage (8 days) and Telstra have offered half of my usual monthly bill in compensation. What the ... Over half of that is what I had paid for a service they did not deliver, so $19 compensation is the actual offer for a customer who has been with them for 18 years.

Apparently they are also offering free access to channels that I have not subscribed to because they do not interest me... Great!

Highlighted

And then wait for 2 hours for service!

Highlighted

Agreed

Our nan got a free upgrade to IQ4 as they were direct with Foxtel. I rang Telstra requesting the same and was refused. I said Id cancel with them and go through Foxtel and was told I’d have to wait 3months. I rang Foxtel and they said that was incorrect so rang Telstra back and low and behold I got my IQ4

Highlighted

Did you use any magic words?

I have an old IQ2 box, which was fine but last year bought a new smart Samsung TV but there seems to be compatibility issues so I wondered if a new box would do the job.  I've been a subscriber for probably 20 years and this box is over 10 years old so I really don't want to pay for a new box that works - just not with the new TV

Highlighted

100% with you on this. I am in the same situation as you. 

@tmodel wrote:

I have been a loyal customer of Foxtel From Telstra for over 15 years. They don't appear in any way offering any options  for loyal customers. They are only interested in taking your money and increasing costs. The only contact I have is via email telling me of reduced channels but no cost reduction. I am also bitterly disappointed with my repeated phone calls requesting offers for loyal customers. The standard answer is to offer me to change to a new package (at increased cost and contract). A totally disgusted loyal customer of Foxtel from Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

You sure sound like a right div Jupiter.

Highlighted

Why, thank you for noticing. I do try.

Highlighted

So are everybody else's replies marked as Acceptable Solutions because they are certainly correct?

Highlighted

After the previous 8 day outing and small compensation, my service has now gone AGAIN (for the past 1.5 days and counting). I wonder who Telstra will blame this time?

Highlighted

Are you on an NBN or Telstra Cable connection? And has your internet dropped out as well, or just your Foxtel?

If it's only the Foxtel dropping out, then it could be a faulty splitter on your incoming cable connection (especially if it is an NBN connection, they are far more sensitive for some resaon).

Either way, lodge it as a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints so that there is a clear record of the recurring problem.

Highlighted

It is the same problem that arose a couple of weeks back and was out for 8days - NBN has removed some equipment which has caused the service outage. I have been with Foxtel/Telstra for 20 odd years and have hardly experienced any outrages ... until now.

The current online advice is Telstra expects the service to return by Thursday 23 April (and that will be another 8 day outage). 

Absolute rubbish service!

Highlighted

Unfortunately that's NBN Co for you. Welcome to the future.

If, after the outage, you still have problems with your Foxtel service, you may need a High Pass filter installed on the socket you use for the Foxtel.

Occasionally the NBN & Foxtel signals cause interference and the filter usually sorts it out (it won't be a full service loss, just for any pixellation or dropping in and out type issues). It's why Foxtel is migrating everyone to satellite delivery by 2023, they can't get the quality they need on an NBN connection.

Still lodge the formal complaint anyway, you might need it if NBN Co decides they need another long outage in the short term. You will be able to use the Telstra complaints as reference in a TIO complaint about NBN Co.

Highlighted

Actually it is Telstra's problem. I contract Telstra to provide a Foxtel service. They have AGAIN failed to do so! I suspect that my longterm relationship with Telstra/Foxtel is nearing its end!

Highlighted

If it's because of something that NBN Co is doing to their network, then it doesn't matter which provider you are with. You will still have the same problem.

If you want to get away from the Foxtel problems that you are currently having, upgrade to an iQ4 and switch to a satellite service (which is part of the iQ4 upgrade). Then you don't nbeed to worry about what NBN Co is doing.

Highlighted

Typical Telstra dodge and weave. It ain't our fault ... the devil made me do it...

If Telstra were any type of reputable organisation that cared about its customers then they would probably enter discussions with NBN Co to discuss the regular and extended outages that their customers are experiencing of late and demand a solution. Instead Telstra simply stick their heads in the sand and blame someone else!

Thanks for your advice to increase the cost of Foxtel (IQ4 is dearer than earlier variants and provides little to no benefit) and to destroy the look of my home with a satellite dish.

I am off to check out a new digital aerial today. Apparently I can use the same cabling and outlets (notwithstanding the dodgy installations) for an aerial connection as those that were installed 18 years ago for the intermittent Foxtel services. Simple really and I do not have to install an ugly satellite dish on my new roof!

It will cost a little for set top boxes and a Fetch box but I will be saving almost $100 per month so it won't take long to pay back and then start to save. Every cloud has a silver lining.

PS: I am still waiting for Telstra to disconnect the Sport element of the Foxtel subscription that I asked for (why pay for live sport content when there isn't any). Oh well, at least I have that request in writing!

Highlighted

NBN Co are their own beast and play by their own rules and they is practically nothing that the RSPs can do to change that. Remember, it's a Government department.

With the cabling for an Antenna, if you had an antenna installed when the Foxtel was installed, then just check to see if it still works (just plug it directly in to your TV). There's no such thing as a digital antenna (just UHF or VHF - digital antenna was a marketing term and lots of people got new antennas when they didn't really need them).

The cabling that your Foxtel currently comes through is part of your NBN connection and you won't be able to use that without disconnecting your Internet completely.

Highlighted

No antenna, it was removed when I had a new roof fitted (I didn't need it as television came via Foxtel service). Silly me for relying upon my Foxtel/Telstra service.

Disconnection of Foxtel is the plan! I have a seperate Foxtel and NBN cables I think (I have been on Foxtel cable for 18 years and NBN was installed after)! I will check that out and get a seperate system installed if necessary.

I am over Telstra/Foxtel! It is expensive and has become unreliable!

Highlighted

It seems that Telstra is also its own beast. Promised Credit has not arrived (and the fools put the promise in writing). What a rubbish service Telstra provides!

Highlighted

Yes all good. However try to change your package? Cannot be done!  Fellow loyal customer. Foxtel won’t let you change as linked to Telstra. It’s a scam and theft. Keep all communications and see you all at ombudsman office

Yep

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit