George_S79
Level 2: Rookie

Game Optimiser limiting speed

Hi Team

I have activated Game Optimiser and its working great. I run two WiFi networks (Telstra gateway) and one with my Google Nest. Prior to activating Game Optimiser I had no issues as both networks would register the same download and upload speeds. As soon as Game Optimiser was activated it has limited the download to 200Mbs and the upload to 20Mbs. 

Why is it doing that? Based on what I can see on the DumaOS portal nothing would be causing this unless I'm missing something.

Its not a huge issue but its annoying to say the least.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
NdLiam
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

Re: Game Optimiser limiting speed

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with Game Optimiser!

What speeds are you expecting to see?

Also, what features are you currently using on Game Optimiser, is QoS enabled?

George_S79

Hi NdLiam

i should be receiving the same speed on the gateway and the Google Nest so should be 250Mbs+ download and up to 25Mbs upload.

it’s like it’s limiting the speed of the Google Nest. The QoS is set to default. Should I activate it?

NdFraser
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

So just to clarify, the gateway is receiving the expected speeds and the Google Nest is receiving 50Mbps less? Are there any devices using the gateway at the time when you're testing the speeds using the Nest? QoS would limit your speeds - we would recommend it for the best experience but in this scenario it isn't needed.

George_S79

Yes that is correct. There are other devices using the gateway at the same time but it doesn’t impact the speed. My assumption is one of the default QoS settings is impacting the speed?

NdFraser
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

If you get full speed using the gateway then QoS wouldn't be affecting it at all. As devices are being used on the gateway that the Nest can't see or control they are taking bandwidth away from the Nest. Don't use any devices on the gateway and just do a speedtest through a device connected to Nest, what do you get?

George_S79

I have done that also and still the same. The only change I have done on my set up is activating game optimiser. Even if I had multiple devices connected to both networks the speed tests would alway return the same result. It’s puzzling me.

NdLiam
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

That's interesting, I know we've already ruled out QoS but just to be sure can you go to QoS -> Congestion Control -> Click the three line menu and tick 'Disable QoS' and run another speedtest?

George_S79

Hi NdLiam

I had to remove Game Optimiser as it was causing issues with my modem. Bit my wife and I work from home and prior to activating it we had no internet issues. Since I activated and now deactivated it I have had nothing but issues even when I connect to the Telstra Gateway. It has WiFi issues, intermittent drops in performance that makes our video calls almost unbearable.

can someone confirm that all parts of the product have been removed?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Do you still have the game optimizer dashboard as the GUI on your modem? I removed game optimizer from my account over a month ago and the game optimizer dashboard is still loading in the modem's GUI.

George_S79

No the GUI is gone but the same issues are remaining. I might have to power cycle the router and see if that fixes it. If not will have to lodge a complaint. The features are great even if you don’t use it for gaining but those features are normally on more powerful routers. My Gen2 router crashed a few times when I had my wife and I on video calls. Never did that prior to activating it. I regret it now.

NdFraser
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

@George_S79 Sorry to hear you removed Game Optimiser, I'm sure we could have resolved the issue as I don't think it is a software specific bug as we've had no reports of this so far but I understand that working from home is of the utmost importance at the moment. I would recommend you and @cf4 to first try doing a factory reset of the modem - there may be remnants of GO that are left behind after disabling. If that doesn't work then please provide your serial number and @deanmanners can double check as to whether GO has been properly deactivated for you. 

cf4

Game optimiser is not causing any performance problems with my network. It just slows down the log in process. I just find it is strange that it is still shown as active and all its settings are available when it has been removed from my account. The modem has been factory reset at least once since removing game optimizer from my account.

At the moment I am trailing the Telstra 5G Home broadband service so the smart modem is not in use.

NdFraser
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

@cf4 glad to hear it isn't causing major issues for you. Would suggest though that when you next start using it to contact Dean to double check whether it has been removed properly.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit