Mfaiqs
Level 1: Cadet

Home network vs Fibre network Game optimisation

Hi. Could someone from Telstra confirm if the game optimisation is limited to the home network (after the modem) or does it also prioritise traffic before the home network (before NBN box) ?

In the old DSL days, interleaving, error correction, DLM, use to cause gaming lag. Does game optimiser implement optimisation on Telstra network? If not, then what's the point ? My gaming experience aka jitter would not change and I ll be dependent on where I live to have a better experience. The congestion in highly populated areas renders the connections in that area exposed to congestion and hence error corrections, numerous hops, stability, buffer bloat, sacrificing latency for bandwidth. Please correct me if I am wrong? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Home network vs Fibre network Game optimisation

The game optimiser only effects home network. It does not prioritize traffic in the NBN or Telstra network. As well as prioritizing traffic in home network it also ensure the nearest game server is used to reduce lag.

If there is a problem in the Telstra or  NBN network it will not fix the problem.

Mfaiqs

This means that instead of getting the game optimiser I can buy an ubiquiti erX and put in traffic optimisation and QoS myself. Lol. 

I was hoping for more. Bad luck. 

NdFraser
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

It is not possible for a Modem/router to control anything other than what is connected directly/indirectly to it. Game Optimiser (GO) provides you with the tools you need to optimise your home connection as much as possible. Lots of devices using the internet at once causing lag for example can be resolved by GO - that's not on the Telstra side. By utilising Traffic Prioritization you can prioritize your gaming ahead of the network queue so even if there is ISP congestion your game will be prioritized. Game servers will come under congestion during heavy periods and you can use the Geo-Filter to force others that may be less underload, no other router has the Geo-Filter.

Mfaiqs

I only have one PC connected directly with Telstra modem. Would I have any advantage of game optimiser ? 

If there are no other network devices except for my computer what would be a competitive advantage of it ? Specially if I am playing on domestic servers like Sydney and Melbourne? 

If the network has some congestion in few hops due to the subscription and people in other homes watching hd videos, it will add to the jitter and even though I have game optimiser, I will still have the same spikes. Correct ? 

Also I notice that a lot of suburbs connect to POI Lakemba, I m sure there must be a lot of traffic running through there. All my games even with low latency have terrible spikes every 5 seconds or so. That is what I intend to get rid of and that is not avoidable with game optimiser on. It's simply out of its scope. 

NdFraser
Game Optimiser Expert
Game Optimiser Expert

I would still say it is an advantage, by specifying game traffic on the PC and by using Congestion Control, you can ensure no background downloads etc can cause your game to lag. With the Geo-Filter you have the option to try both of those servers and see what plays best for you, without it the game will decide where to put you even if it doesn't give you the best experience. 

If you're certain you're experiencing ISP congestion then I would recommend you contact Telstra about that. You can always try Game Optimiser for a month free, if it is what you're looking for then great, if not no worries you can cancel before the month is up. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit