CommandoRoll
Level 1: Cadet

Android 12 - what's the hold up?

What's going on? You can't tell me that it takes this long for Telstra to push a readily available OTA update. One of the major selling points of Pixel handsets is getting Android updates first. I see other telcos have managed to push the update to their customers, do I have up get my Pixel 6 Pro from another provider who actually supports Android & Pixel handsets properly?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
JoJoH
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Android 12 - what's the hold up?

Telstra are still running the tests that are required for us to release the update. This is to make sure it is fully compatible with our network prior to it being released. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Raytek
Level 2: Rookie

Understand that Telstra needs to check for issues with Android 12, however an indication from Telstra to it's customers on how long this is going to take would be a good step in customer relations and communication.

MammaB
Support Team
Support Team

Morning, as far as I am aware the update should have already been released around the 2nd November. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Raytek
Level 2: Rookie

I have a pixel 3 , which they tell me the update is for, however when I use the update on my pixel 3 it says I have the latest update , Android 11.

Maybe someone could let me know what I'm doing wrong 

Mattle

Same here. Pixel 3a still not updating 2 weeks after every other telco allowed the update. Sort it out Telstra!

Mitty0

Pixel 3 XL here.  No updates available - what's going on?

mikeyman

One month and 4 days so far. 

Telstra, to be clear, my expectation is a week or two at maximum.

Soon to be ex-customer.

retromatic

Hi everyone that is with Telstra and waiting for pixel 3xl android 12 update. 

If Telstra still has not released this there is a simple solution.

Temporarily Swap your Sim card with and non Telstra Sim card. I used a $5 pre paid Aldi Mobile SIM card. Then go to settings and check for updates. You'll find android 12 waiting for you. Install it. Then reinsert your telstra Sim card. 

You then have Android 12.

Enjoy!

Dpopey
Level 3: Gumshoe

this is funny as Aldi Mobile uses the Telstra Network.

not sure what has happened maybe Google and Telstra are having a fight has i have had every Pixel since the 3Xl and i ALWAYS got the monthly update first Tuesday of Every Month (bright and early) but since November 2021 my Pixel 5 only just got the December Update (a week late) and my Pixel 6 Pro hasnt recieved the update which was released today!

they hide behind the "Testing" answer but what are you Testing? an OS which like Apples is 100% controlled by the OEM and has nothing to do with you with 0 Telstra Bloatware pre-installed (As it should be)

if you can simply swap sims to another operator and get the update then its Clear Telstra is the Problem.

i think its finally time i run out my Contract and leave this company. poor customer service unless you go in store and i tend to be smarter then the person who answers the phone and advises me to complete all the troubleshooting i have already done again because they dont believe we can do it!!!

NicWilson

Sill not out for Fold3 despite being released by Samsung weeks ago.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Android 12 started being rolled out by Samsung for the Fold 3 on Boxing Day. Samsung haven't released it for any Australian carrier yet. Australia is near the bottom of the list for firmware rollouts due to our small market size.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
NicWilson

Wow this was in Oct, it's now Jan and still not out.  As a professional software engineer if we took as long as Telstra to test a release on a device we would go broke.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit