Hadouken
Level 2: Rookie

Google Pixel 2 using data while on wifi

Answered
Hi,

I have contacted Telstra technical services regarding this issue. The resolution was to return the phone for a new one. However I am not entirely sure if this will fix the issue.

The issue I am experiencing is, while I am connected to WiFi, my phone seems to still use mobile data.

After lots of searching I have found that there is a setting called "switch to mobile data automatically".

Now I can type this phrase into my phone under settings. It will find it. But when I click on it the phone takes me to WiFi preferences and that option does not appear there.

Is this a software issue? Or am I to assume that it this can be rectified with a replacement device?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JordanR
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution Solution Verified by Telstra

Re: Google Pixel 2 using data while on wifi

Hey @Hadouken,

It looks like Google has changed the settings with a recent update, you can now disable it by enabling Developer Mode and switching "Mobile data always active" off.

If you enable developer mode by going to Settings -> System -> About Phone, and tapping the "Build number" entry repeatedly until it is enabled. Then if you go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Mobile Data always active (setting is under Networking near the bottom of the list) and use the switch to disable it.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Burdy
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi @Hadouken,

You should be able to find the setting you're looking for by following these steps.

1. From a Home screen, tap the Arrow icon Up arrow icon to display all apps.
  2. Navigate: Settings Settings app icon > Network & Internet Network and Internet icon > Wi-Fi Wi-Fi icon.
    Note Ensure that the switch (upper-right) is turned on On icon.
  3. Tap Wi-Fi preferences then tap Advanced Down arrow icon.
  4. Tap Switch to mobile data automatically to

off Switch off.

Aden

I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Hadouken

Thank you for the quick reply Burdy.
That setting is not visible on my device.

Like I've said. I have contacted the help desk and have gone in to a Telstra store. They verified the issue.
I don't know how to put in attachments of the screenshot of my wifi setting to show you.
JordanR
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution Solution Verified by Telstra

Hey @Hadouken,

It looks like Google has changed the settings with a recent update, you can now disable it by enabling Developer Mode and switching "Mobile data always active" off.

If you enable developer mode by going to Settings -> System -> About Phone, and tapping the "Build number" entry repeatedly until it is enabled. Then if you go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> Mobile Data always active (setting is under Networking near the bottom of the list) and use the switch to disable it.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

View solution in original post

Hadouken

Absolute legend. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit