Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Google Pixel 5 Not supporting Data Messaging

Hi Has anyone else come across the issue with Telstra not currently supporting Data and Wifi messaging? 
When I go to Messages 

>Settings

>Chat Features 

all of the options are disabled and can not be turned on. I can see that this is as the carrier doesnt support it. 

Telstra is there anyword as to when you will make this available? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Google Pixel 5 Not supporting Data Messaging

Came here looking for the same answer. 

My Pixel 4XL was working fine but the P5 is saying that chat features are not currently supported by the operator. 

I can only think that Telstra have not flipped the RSC chat on with the new Pixel 5 phone.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Yep seems like something they haven't turned on. Coming from Pixel 3 XL which worked with chat features.

Highlighted

Getting the same issue as well. Spent about an hour on live support chat and couldn't work it out. We are now waiting for a new sim to be activated just in case the issue lies with my old sim...

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

There is quite a discussion about that problem under the Telstra post about messaging..

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/news-feed/telstra-messaging-faqs/ba-p/713814

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Yep, 2 more pixel 5s here with the same issue. Telstra support said "what is RCS?" Sigh. Then told me only up to the pixel 4xl is supported which is wrong, this article clearly states "all pixels".

WARNING: my partner still has a pixel 3, work RCS working fine. When he tries to send a txt to either of the pixel 5s it just gets stuck "sending...." permanently! We can send texts to him, but not the other way. That's really bad. Telstra need to escalate this because it's effectively a denial of service that cannot be controlled from the pixel 5 end. If I turn off RCS on my partner's phone, then it can send to the pixel 5s no problem. Turn it back on, fails again

Highlighted

I am having a similar issue with my Pixel 4a (non 5g). When I go to Chat Features it just states "Chat features unavailable for this device. Your operator does not currently support this feature" 

I had a the useless experience with the 24/7 support, and have tried every trick online with no luck...

Highlighted

Same issue on my Pixel 5. I came from a Pixel 2 XL with chat features turned on and working great. Now, most people in my contacts cant SMS me because their phones are trying to send me RCS messages which I now cant receive! It was only through trial and error with a mate that I was able to figure out the issue. Needs to be sorted out ASAP!

Highlighted

Same issue, I was told to just keep checking back with support to see if it's been added to the list... should have been ready from launch day! Never would've happened if they were still the exclusive telco.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit