Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Google Pixel 5 Not supporting Data Messaging

Hi Has anyone else come across the issue with Telstra not currently supporting Data and Wifi messaging? 
When I go to Messages 

>Settings

>Chat Features 

all of the options are disabled and can not be turned on. I can see that this is as the carrier doesnt support it. 

Telstra is there anyword as to when you will make this available? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Google Pixel 5 Not supporting Data Messaging

Came here looking for the same answer. 

My Pixel 4XL was working fine but the P5 is saying that chat features are not currently supported by the operator. 

I can only think that Telstra have not flipped the RSC chat on with the new Pixel 5 phone.

Highlighted

Yep seems like something they haven't turned on. Coming from Pixel 3 XL which worked with chat features.

Highlighted

Getting the same issue as well. Spent about an hour on live support chat and couldn't work it out. We are now waiting for a new sim to be activated just in case the issue lies with my old sim...

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

There is quite a discussion about that problem under the Telstra post about messaging..

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/news-feed/telstra-messaging-faqs/ba-p/713814

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yep, 2 more pixel 5s here with the same issue. Telstra support said "what is RCS?" Sigh. Then told me only up to the pixel 4xl is supported which is wrong, this article clearly states "all pixels".

WARNING: my partner still has a pixel 3, work RCS working fine. When he tries to send a txt to either of the pixel 5s it just gets stuck "sending...." permanently! We can send texts to him, but not the other way. That's really bad. Telstra need to escalate this because it's effectively a denial of service that cannot be controlled from the pixel 5 end. If I turn off RCS on my partner's phone, then it can send to the pixel 5s no problem. Turn it back on, fails again

Highlighted

I am having a similar issue with my Pixel 4a (non 5g). When I go to Chat Features it just states "Chat features unavailable for this device. Your operator does not currently support this feature" 

I had a the useless experience with the 24/7 support, and have tried every trick online with no luck...

Highlighted

Same issue on my Pixel 5. I came from a Pixel 2 XL with chat features turned on and working great. Now, most people in my contacts cant SMS me because their phones are trying to send me RCS messages which I now cant receive! It was only through trial and error with a mate that I was able to figure out the issue. Needs to be sorted out ASAP!

Highlighted

Same issue, I was told to just keep checking back with support to see if it's been added to the list... should have been ready from launch day! Never would've happened if they were still the exclusive telco.

Highlighted

RCS worked fine on my Note 9, but I moved to Pixel 5 and it stopped working.

Had to speak to Telstra rep to get VoLTE activated. I thought RCS/Chat features would get activated along with that but nope. C`mon Telstra.

Highlighted

Same. Been through 2 layers of off shore support, got through to on shore level 2 MAEPC team who checked everything and agreed it's not a handset issue. She also confirmed that my VoLTE was turned off. Was working on my 3xl immediately prior, so something about switching the Sim over seems to have turned it off. Turning it back on did not fix, so now she is escalating the issue to the network team.

Separately, on the thread linked above, in the comments section on page 17 subscribe who claims to work for the network team said that Google is progressively turning all handsets off and that was an expected activty "been coming for some time". But no explanation as to why. Finger crossed Google is finally preparing to roll out their own global RCS service to Australia!

Highlighted

Ok, so on shore mobile assurance team just got back to me after escalating to their networks team. They have just received official notification that Google is no longer supporting Telstra Messaging, their version of RCS. I can't think why they would explicitly disable it unless they are just about to replace it with the global RCS service they have been building... She said go here and complain support.google.com/messages

Highlighted

@CJ71 wrote:

Ok, so on shore mobile assurance team just got back to me after escalating to their networks team. They have just received official notification that Google is no longer supporting Telstra Messaging, their version of RCS. I can't think why they would explicitly disable it unless they are just about to replace it with the global RCS service they have been building... She said go here and complain support.google.com/messages

I got the same message from Telstra support - they said that the issue is coming up a lot at the moment. From my post in another thread:

I just (Tuesday 20/10/20) spoke to Telstra support and they said that Google updated something, which has broken the RCS feature on the Telstra network.

They thought that it was confined to Pixel devices, but it's broken on my Note 9. They had very little information about it, and the information that they were getting was a bit confusing/conflicting.

They also suspected that maybe it didn't help that my phone didn't come directly from Telstra, and that if I had a Telstra-supplied phone the Samsung Messages app might work with RCS, but I can't confirm that.

The bottom line seems to be that RCS probably won't work for a while, until Telstra and Google sort out the issue - if they ever sort out the issue.

Highlighted

It's definitely not limited to pixel and I think buying it from Telstra is irrelevant (in this instance). The RCS capability comes from Carrier Services app, from Google. Messages and Samsung Messages hook into that. I get a strong sense that Google are unplugging everything Telstra in Australia. And they are formally on record as saying they are developing a global RCS capability, that has been live since last year for US, France and a couple other countries, because most telcos simply weren't getting their act together and delivering RCS or not integrating it work other carriers. They have said they will be rolling out out to more and more countries over time. They haven't said anything beyond that recently, but I would expect that if they were about to roll out to Australia, this is exactly what we would see...

Highlighted

Looks like it might be something to do with Australian rollout of Google Jibe. This is what it says on Jibe Google .Com

"

While RCS messaging was designed to move mobile networks beyond texting, different approaches made it difficult and costly for carriers to bring it to users.

By aligning on the GSMA's universal RCS profile - with the Messages RCS client app - carriers can now provide RCS messaging across the Android ecosystem."

Highlighted

For those that can't receive SMS messages from numbers they received RCS from, get the sender to open messages, three dots, details, only send SMS and MMS messages. At least that way you can receive, but you have to get all sender's to do it....

My pixel 3xl to 5 swap has gone horribly due to this and I have missed out on a lot of important information. It would have been very nice to know this was going to be an issue. I would have kept the 3xl for now. 

Highlighted

Can now report that Chat Features are working on my Pixel 5. Received notification few minutes ago and enabled.  

Highlighted

Yep, mine just started working without me having to do anything - it just popped up a message saying "do you want to use chat features?" when I opened the Messages app.

Looks like it's working now, and through Google's own system. There's a message down the bottom of the Chat Features settings that says "Chat features from Google provided by Jibe mobile."

Highlighted

Yep! Jibe just rolled out. I'm back online

@Jsyan wrote:

Looks like it might be something to do with Australian rollout of Google Jibe. This is what it says on Jibe Google .Com

"

While RCS messaging was designed to move mobile networks beyond texting, different approaches made it difficult and costly for carriers to bring it to users.

By aligning on the GSMA's universal RCS profile - with the Messages RCS client app - carriers can now provide RCS messaging across the Android ecosystem."

Highlighted

Just had a play around with installing Google Messenger and can confirm its been switched over to Google's Jibe server.  I have some friends who use Samsung Messenger on Telstra's network who appear as RCS enabled and I can send chat messages to them. When I went to use Google Messenger I could only send a text message to the same friends.  It appears that using the stock messenger on the phone (e.g. Samsung Messenger) restricts you to Telstra's RCS server. I have a Samsung Galaxy 10+ purchased directly from Samsung Australia. Looks like you either wait for Telstra to get on board with universal RCS or switch to Google Messenger and get the rest of your friends to start using the app. There was another comment I saw that Google's support for Telstra RCS ended from 15 October 2020.

Highlighted

Can confirm this. My wife has S10 and uses Samsung Messenger (on Boost) and all messages to her are going as SMS Text Messages. GIFs or Pics take few minutes to download.

Highlighted

Spoke with Telstra mobile faults and they said Telstra is discontinuing RCS as Google Jibe has taken over.

Jibe is working on my pixel 5 now. 

Voicemail messages are not downloading as MMS though, I'm still getting the call 101 SMS.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit