akmbaker
Level 1: Cadet

Google Pixel and WiFi calling

Hi All, does anyone know If/when Telstra will enable WiFi calling on the pixel. Also, will it be possible to use this function on pixel phones purchased from third party vendors?
Cheers Andrew

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Google Pixel and WiFi calling

Hey akmbaker,

Nothing has been advised as yet sorry, but once there have been extra handsets that are compatible with this service then it will be advised to all customers. More details on this service can be located via the FAQ's at:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Telstra-Wi-Fi-Calling-FAQ-s/ba-p/619260

With the second part of the query was this a device brought on another providers network and then brought to us, or continuing to be used on that other network. It would come down to them being able to have this service provided and activated as well. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

akmbaker

Hi DingoDan,
Thanks for the post. The handset was bought at JB hi-fi and has only ever been used in the Telstra network. I understand that to enable WiFi calling you need a firmware update from Telstra. Is that correct? If so, can it be added to my phone? Cheers Andrew
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@akmbaker

It's true that Telstra Firmware will be required once Wi-Fi Calling is made available to the Pixel handsets.

There are places that you can download this online, though we don't recommend doing this yourself as the source is never us and we can't guarantee that the Firmware is legit or secure.

You can request that your device be flashed with Telstra Firmware via a Telstra Store - note that your phone will be sent away for this to happen and this will be at cost to you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

akmbaker

Excellent, thanks. Any idea what it costs to get the phone flashed? Cheers Andrew
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@akmbaker

No idea I'm sorry. These charges are different from handset to handset and may not even be possible. We don't offer any guarantees that we'll be able to do this for you.

If possible, the Device Care Team will contact you to receive approval for them to go ahead with the change.

Costs will be discussed with you at that time.

BenjiC
Level 11: Detective

@DeltaSquad i thought the pixel was stock android without telstras meddling. At least thats what the telstra rep told me when i bought it

DJE88

So when is Telstra adding the Pixel to its compatible devices for WiFi calling? 

akmbaker

No idea. I can't find anyone at Telstra that will give me a straight answer.
Renee
Support Team
Support Team

Hi DJE88,

We are calling the compatible devices as they are rolled out and therefore it is likely, as we continue to thoroughly test devices and approve them for use of Wi-Fi calling, we will list them.

Information will be updated via:

https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/mobile-technology#wificalling

DJE88

Thanks, any update on this? I desperately need wifi calling due to poor mobile coverage in my home and office.
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@DJE88

Updates are provided via the link provided by Renee,

We don't have any other information to provide you outside of that I'm sorry.

Braveheart

Hi is wifi calling supported on the telstra pixel XL?

Braveheart

DJ88 did you get this resolved?

nightflyer00
Level 2: Rookie

My Google Pixel 2 XL seems to be WIFI calling now. I didn't even know this was a feature. Not sure how it decides when it should be a WIFI call or not but I get a notification on screen when it happens.

Daragh

I see this has been turned on for pixel2 but not original pixel. Are there plans to fix this Telstra?
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Daragh

We're progressively rolling this out to compatible handsets across our network.

As we add handsets, we'll update the list available on our website

Daragh

@DeltaSquad thanks for the response. It's disappointing that the Pixel 1 was bypassed in the latest update, given there are many older phones on the list, and the Pixel 2 was added. 

Add to this my frustration of not being able to make / take calls to run my business on the CBD fringe (Teneriffe, QLD 4005) because of a complete lack of Telstra cell coverage (as the attached screenshot goes) and you can get a sense for why I am so eager to see WiFi calling come.Cell Coverage

Daragh

@DeltaSquad any updates on this one?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit