Mallory
Level 3: Gumshoe

Pixel 3 WiFi calling

Hi!
At a location where on my Pixel 2 XL WiFi calling worked fine. But it doesn't work at all on my 3 XL. It tells me to connect to a WiFi network as the mobile network isn't available. But I'm very much on the WiFi network as other WiFi Calling devices indicate.

I do note that on the Compatibility information https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/mobile-technology#wificalling Telstra states 'Pixel 2 and above' to be compatible. I'm somewhat perplexed. Other carriers seem to have also be having 'issues' with Pixel 3 WiFi Calling, however I've not been able to easily find any queries or statements from Telstra as to what the story with them may be.

Hope someone can assist.

.sig

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Mallory

Re: Pixel 3 WiFi calling

Starting to look more like when changing to the 3XL, and subsequent plan, WiFi Calling has been removed as a capability. Have tried the SIM in my 2XL and it's not working there. Online Assistance person can't seem to advise much. Am going to have to go into the store and sort this. However, given that my SIM won't let me do WiFi Calling, I'm now 'content' to send the 2XL back anyways. Hey, at least I can WiFi Call on my Galaxy Tab A8 .... .... ....
.sig
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Let us know how you go in the store Mallory.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mallory

In store fixed it in 30 seconds by fiddling with an account setting. Worked for a while. It's no longer working. Can't quite say when it stopped working. But I can no longer make WiFi Calls on the device. Other devices over same WiFi network are totally fine. But that's not my primary phone number....
.sig
Mallory

Social Media support asked me to call the NBN department... but I can't make a call... nor is the broadband I'm on with Telstra. And it was confirmed earlier today as an account issue ngngngnghnhgngnhgnhgn
.sig
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mallory, I'm not able to check account settings, can you visit the tech team on live chat to investigate  http://tel.st/nhb7y

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

wcliftonsmith
Level 1: Cadet

Has there been any development on this as I live where there is a Telstra black spot and just upgraded to the pixel 3 xl. WiFi calling enabled and works on my wife's ipjone. Please help there has to be an answer
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi wcliftonsmith, It might be best to speak with our tech team about this so they can check your account settings, you can speak to them via 125 111 or live chat  http://tel.st/dvx9a

Mallory

Went back into the big smoke, worked fine. Came back out here... zilch. I'm getting the suspicion that it may be something to do with the last tower I connect to before leaving, I don't know how any of this is meant to work but I have an app that says when I'm near that tower that VoLTE and WiFi calling is not available on my phone, but when I was in the city it said otherwise. Going to try the tech team now, though if I get another response that involves someone trying to SMS me an access code... (which, btw, I was highly amused by but not as highly amused as my birthdate being redacted from the chat transcript but not my driver's licence number used to verify because SMS couldn't work...)
.sig
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Let us know how you go Mallory-Ads

Mallory

They've had me turn off all radios and back on, restart the phone...

I put the SIM inside my Galaxy Tab A8 and lo and behold, i can make WiFi Calls. So it's definitely not a problem with my account. That the Pixel 3 XL could make WiFi Calls in the Elizabeth Street Hobart store also suggests that it is not, necessarily, my phone. About the only thing left to consider is the possibility that the last cell I was in, that is the last broadcasts from the last tower I received before going out of range, disabled WiFi Calling on my Pixel 3. For some reason.

Needless to say Tech Chat Support are now telling me it may be a SIM problem... which I don't quite understand because it works fine in the city.
.sig
Mallory

Now the Tech Agent, who I was told to contact by the Store, has told me to contact Store agent because it 'will definitely fix this issue'.

I thus firmly but politely ended the conversation as it was clear this was - once again - going nowhere.

.sig
Mallory

Now on phone to Tech Support from my Galaxy Tab creating a phone bill that I will have to contest because it's not meant to be used for phone calls...

And it'd seem to be that perhaps I've finally managed to convince someone inside Telstra that there is a problem somehow with the Pixel 3 XL and WiFi Calling....

Wonder what sort of bill I'm racking up on the Galaxy Tab for making this support call hahahaha
.sig
Mallory

Going to spend tomorrow trying to troubleshoot this with Telstra Tech support by driving to a nearby town that has mobile coverage and seeing what happens there, and then I guess heading back to where I'm currently located.

I'm certainly more hopeful now that we can start getting to the bottom of it.
.sig
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mallory, It’s disappointing to hear that you have experienced issues with your service that has required so many contacts, please keep us updated.

Mallory

Hi Ads,

Well sometimes...

At least the convo yesterday got me out of the house. The agreed plan, I believe, was that I was to go into 4G coverage area at a certain time and I would be called. We agreed to the time, and I provided a 'sync' time - that being the time I believed it to be where I was now - to ensure timezone offsets etc. were all calculated correctly. The agreed time for the call, I thought, was 1PM (13:00) and the time the agreement / sync was made was 4:30PM (16:30) and that the call would be made onto my Pixel 3 XL phone.

So I drove 50km down the road, and along the way used some apps to track cell status and the like. And sure enough, at the first town I hit my Galaxy Tab A8 was getting 4G LTE signal, but the Pixel was only getting H+. Weird, I thought. I also noticed in the app (Network Cell Info - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfo&hl=en  ) that the Galaxy Tab was indicating VoLTE and WiFi Calling capabilities, and the Pixel 3 XL as not offering those services.

So I drove a bit further down the road to the coast, and got a 4G signal on both. And both indicated VolTE and WiFi Calling capabilities.

To be sure, I sat down for lunch at 1pm and made a WiFi Call to my friend over the Telstra Air connection at the cafe I was at. And then I waited for Telstra to call.

An hour later and no word from the Telstra person who I expected a call from, I decided I'd do a bit of scientific sleuthing.

I drove back up the road and used that app to tell me when I lost signal. Sure enough, it seemed that as I dropped into H+ out of LTE, the phone indicate that VoLTE wasn't available. Well that made sense to me, as VoLTE requires LTE.

Then I thought - hang on, I had H+ on the way in and WiFi calling didn't become available to me. So therefore, the workaround must be to get in LTE range - drop the phone into flight mode - then head on off to my WiFi access point.

I did this and Lo And Behold, WiFi calling is working at the location I am at.

Unfortunately, I fear if I take my phone out of flight mode to try to get into H+ range nearby to receive SMS I'll lose my ability to go back to WiFi Calling (I can receive SMS within walking distance of where I am, not so much usable H+ voice let alone LTE).

The upshot would seem to be that there's a problem with the latest Google Android. And it also exists on the Pixel 2 XL as well as this had also previously been tested by me and was found similarly non-functional at my location.

The issue is that the phone, for one reason or another, 'forgets' that it on a VoLTE capable account. Whether this is because the phone itself forgets that, as it changes from LTE to H+, the account is VoLTE permitted or the base station it is talking to as it does that handover fails to notify the handset of VoLTE access on the account, I dunno. Don't have the depth of knowledge or the debug tools to tell.

Anyways, I was pretty happy with my For Science!! expedition even if Telstra didn't call as organised. Or that I can't receive SMS for the local injured wildlife rescue service. So at this  I wandered off to do a few things.

I came back to my Galaxy Tablet at about 16:45, and noticed that someone had tried calling me at 16:30. I presume that was Telstra Support. I also got an email thanking me for my interaction today. Not sure I have the energy, but I did certainly want to write down the adventure today.

tl:dr - likely bug in Google Android for Telstra Pixel Phones with WiFi Calling. When in 3G only zone, handset doesn't know it can do WiFi calling. If moving from 4G to 3G zone, handset forgets it can do WiFi calling. Workaround: Go into 4G zone, when heading out of 4G area set to Flight Mode (Aeroplane mode), re-enable radios (bluetooth, wifi etc.) as required but DO NOT turn back on the mobile phone capability.

.sig
Mallory

One further thought: *maybe* the 'mobile data always on' developer setting might be related? Hmmm...
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Google-Pixel/Google-Pixel-2-using-data-while-on-wifi/m-p/7343...

Not willing to test that out at the moment though. Things are working for me right now. Well, except for the injured wildlife messages I won't be getting. Then again, if i wasn't out here I wouldn't be looking to rescue them so... *shrug*
.sig
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 

Mallory, Thank you for the update, This is a very strange issue indeed, Did you get a chance to speak with the tech team, It would seem a fault would need to be raised.

Mallory

The tech team called at totally the wrong time, instead of 1PM as arranged when I'd driven to the location.

I'm about to head back out bush again and have applied the most recent Pixel 3 XL update, so will see how we go later tomorrow. I've just got my new bill that includes being charged for the WiFi Calling on the Galaxy Tablet that isn't supposed to be used for WiFi Calling so I guess I'll have to chase that up with Accounts department... can someone recommend to me which path to take for that so I don't have to go through lots of pain? I've been in and out of the shop in Hobart half a dozen times, on call half a dozen times and whilst I appreciate this may be an extreme edge case it's kinda racking up a bill I simply don't have the money to pay...
.sig
Ads
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I can understand the frustration Mallory, the billing department can be reached on 132200 or via live chat   Here  let us know how you go. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit