davich
Level 1: Cadet

WiFi calling & Google Pixel

After being on live chat with google support whilst on the phone with Telstra simultaneously on 28-03-2018, I discovered that the Google Pixel and Pixel XL (v1) are not supported by Telstra for WIFI calling despite both the handset and SIM being fully compatible with WIFI calling.

I have tested 2 handsets (Google Pixel XL Android 7.1.2 & Google Pixel XL Android 8.1)  with another carrier and WIFI calling does in fact work on both handsets and according to google is available on all versions of firmware in Australia on the Google Pixel and Pixel XL (v1).

However, it won't appear in the menu as expected without the carrier providing the service for the handset.

To clarify that point for everyone: when the WIFI calling option doesn't appear in the menu (phone/settings/calls/WIFI calling) as expected, this is not because it's been left out by google or the firmware.

The menu option is missing because its not enabled by the carrier. In simple terms so everyone understands whats happening here, data such as APN (wap) and other info is sent over to the phone to set up internet settings & sometimes enable other features on a handset when the SIM first initializes with the carrier. With the Pixel, the WIFI calling is not enabled by Telstra.

At what point will Telstra provide this feature for the Pixel as they have for the latest Samsung devices?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Renee
Support Team
Support Team

Re: WiFi calling & Google Pixel

Hi davich,

We appreciate you taking the time time to bring this to the forum's attention. We can appreciate your concern with the earlier versions of the Google Pixel not being compatible with Wi-Fi Calling at this stage, however, we are continuing to roll out the technology with further devices following rigorous testing.

More information is available via: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Telstra-Wi-Fi-Calling-FAQ-s/ba-p/619260

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Granny_janni
Level 1: Cadet

Re: WiFi calling & Google Pixel

Yes, interesting. When I am at home my phone auto connects to wifi, then if I am in a call it uses wifi and disconnects me ALL THE TIME!!! I thought it ^the phone now I know better. Typical telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit