willykj
Level 1: Cadet

WiFi calling on Google Pixel XL

When will WiFi calling be made available on Google Pixel XL which is under plan through Telstra? My wife has iPhone 6S & wifi calling works great. My cannot get mobile reception inside our villa.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
MichaelCummins

Re: WiFi calling on Google Pixel XL

I would also like to know this. Telstra was directly selling this state of the art phone. Be nice if they supported it. I have checked that other providers world wide have had support for the pixel XL for quite a while now.
MichaelCummins

Actually it states that telstra now does support. But no clear direction on how to enable it. But searching the internet will find the setting is buried under Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi preferences, Advanced.
But on my phone with the latest updates and an expensive plan. Still nothing. I have no telstra service for half the year, but good wifi. So I really could use this function.
Each phone should have an idiots guide to how to enable, and then who to call when everything goes wrong.
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@MichaelCummins

I'm not sure where you saw that the Google Pixel XL was supported.

Current information about supported handsets is available on our Website and regrettably, the Pixel XL is not listed here at this time.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

The Pixel XL is listed as being supported for VoLTE, not VoWifi. The Pixel XL 2 is listed as being supported for both.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
davich

I've just been on live chat with google support whilst on the phone with Telstra simultaneously.
The google Pixel and Pixel XL (v1) are not supported by Telstra for WIFI calling despite the handset being fully compatible with WIFI calling and the SIM being fully compatible with WIFI calling.

More specifically after much re wording of my questions to customer support:

1. The Google Pixel does support WIFI calling.
2. It will not appear in the menu unless the carrier enables it.
3. Telstra post paid sims support WIFI calling.
3. Telstra doesn't enable the function in the Google Pixel or XL.

In other words, Telstra won't do it or hasn't done it at this stage.

Jupiter

That is correct. And generally the support won't be extended to a previous iteration of a product line once a new version has come out and it has been enabled for the newer generation product.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit