JEK1972
Level 1: Cadet

2.4GHz and 5GHz with Smart Plugs

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Wifi

Hi Guys and Gals, 

I am having issues connecting Smart Plugs to the network!

I read potential solutions in previous threads, https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-broadband/telstra-smart-modem-gen-2-wifi/td-p/820758 - I disabled band steering in the router control but when I select the 2.4ghz - it connects on phone/PC but doesn't work and the Smart Lite app doesn't connect to it - so I can't connect any of the smart plugs I got for Xmas.

If I select my Generic Wifi it works fine but I am assuming it is the 5Ghz.

Any solutions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks 

JK

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 2.4GHz and 5GHz with Smart Plugs

Could you explain what you mean by

"when I select the 2.4ghz - it connects on phone/PC but doesn't work and the Smart Lite app doesn't connect to it - so I can't connect any of the smart plugs I got for Xmas."

Are you saying that you can see the 2.4 GHz WiFi in the list of available WiFi networks on the phone or PC, but when you connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi you can't connect to the internet?

If you can connect to the internet but can't connect any of the Smart plugs you could try disabling or turning off Protected Management Frames (Wi-Fi PMF) in the modem's Advanced > WiFi settings for the 2.4 GHz WiFi band and saving settings.

JEK1972

I can see the 2.4 GHz WiFi in the list of available WiFi networks on the phone or PC, but when I connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi you can't connect to the internet - this is correct.

I connect to full bars of service but it does not work on any devices.

I tried your suggestion anyways but to no avail. Thank you.

cf4

Never heard of a problem like this before. If you connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi can you access the modem's GUI (http://192.168.0.1)?

JEK1972

No, I lose connection. It's odd - I renamed the channels yesterday to JKInternet2G and JKInternet5G - the 5G comes up in my potential WIFIs but not the 2G. But I have TelstraFE3DDD-2GEXT and 5GEXT showing up - that is the 2G Channel I am using with no luck. TelstraFE3DDD was the Wifi Name pre name change.

cf4

It is making more sense now. TelstraFE3DDD-2GEXT and 5GEXT are the WiFi broadcast from a WiFi extender. When you connect the TelstraFE3DDD-2GEXT you will have no internet because WiFi extender will have lost its connection to modem when WiFi names were changed. The extender will need to be reset and then setup again.

The fact that you can't see the  JKInternet2G indicates the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. Contact support and lodge a fault.

JEK1972

You're a genius - thanks for the help - it's meant a lot!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more