LanceL66
Level 3: Gumshoe

2.4ghz security camera wont connect to Telstra NBN modem DJA0230

Answered

I’ve tried multiple times in multiple ways to connect my Kogan security camera to my NBN modem with no success, times out saying unable to connect every time.

I’ve tried things with the manufacturer’s support people including disabling 5G, turning off band steering and renaming SSIDs. No help, and they eventually gave up saying unit is faulty and sent another. Same problem.

Tried all the info I could read online witj suggestions around further modem settings and trying to pair with WPS button, but nothing works.

As a final check, I tried to connect at my parent’s house who have an Optus ADSL modem. Boom, connected first try.

Any thoughts, as this is frustrating?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: 2.4ghz security camera wont connect to Telstra NBN modem DJA0230

Hi - there is a post on the forum where a similar problem was resolved by a person who had a Mirabella Video Doorbell , sold by Bunnings, K-Mart and a variety of other brand names in Australia that was prevented from connection. His workaround was to link his mobile phone and doorbell to the 2.4 Ghz Guest Network. After installation he returned his mobile phone to the 5Ghz band - the incoming doorbell notification to his mobile must have connected via the 4G network instead of the Wi-Fi Network as the Guest Network users can not access the Main Network devices.

It confounds us all why sometimes things just won't connect as expected, particularly with budget 2.4GHz devices and yet they sometimes seem happier on some platforms but not others. Maybe the old Optus ADSL modem fully supports NAT Loopback to allow the security camera to activate on install with a mobile phone and connect to the mobile phone when it is inside and linked to the Wi-Fi Network of the home instead of using the 4G connection. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you checked to see if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is working on the modem? Some Technicolor modems develop a fault with the 2.4 GHz WiFi. The 5 GHz WiFi still works.

LanceL66

Yes I have, I’ve disabled the 5ghz network on the modem completely so 2.4 works

cf4

There are a few things you could try.

1. Chang the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA+WPA2 PSK
  2. Change modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi Channel Width from Auto to 20 MHz
  3. Change modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi channel from auto to a channel between 2 and 10.
LanceL66

Have tried the first one. Will give the other two a crack and let you know. Cheers

LanceL66

Have tried all of the security mode, channel width and channel change variables, none work. Driving me nuts

cf4

Which model Kogan security camera do you have?

LanceL66

Its the Smarterhome Wireless, model KSOBCAMWGAA

Again, connected first try with my parents basic Optus adsl wifi connection

cf4

You could try changing both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS settings in the modem to bypass Telstra broadband protect which might be blocking the site used by the camera. There is a drop down list of DNS services in the modem at Advanced > Local Network. Select a non Telstra DNS for bot IPv4 and IPv6 and save settings. Disconnect and reconnect device used to connect camera and try reconnecting camera. Image below is for Arcadyan modem which is similar to Technicolor modem.

LanceL66

My modem gateway doesnt have this option. Only DNS reference is the Dymamic DNS here and disabled?

I have the big white modem DJA0230

cf4

The original smart modem did not have the DNS selection but it was added in firmware update 17.2.0468-820-RA. The latest firmware is 18.1.c.0462-950-RB. You can check firmware version Advanced > Gateway. If Gateway doesn't have latest firmware it might be the reason the camera can't connect.

LanceL66

Tick

cf4

The gateway should have a drop down list of DNS services. See section 33 of document linked at bottom of this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-DJA0230-manual-Unofficial...

LanceL66

Found a way to get to the DNS settings ny changing the modem login from the default to a personal password. Changed all the DNS services as suggested along with rebooting the connecting device.

Still wont connect

cf4

The only other settings you could try changing are 

Short Guard Interval
Cyclic-Delay Diversity
Space Time Block Code

These setting are located in the Advanced > WiFi 2.4 GHz settings.
LanceL66

None of these changes work either

Seems ridiculous a new hi-tech Telstra NBN modem with a dozen setting changes wont connect to a basic camera, but it connects first go with a years old Optus ADSL modem....so frustrating

cf4

The old Optus ADSL modem would probably not support IPv6 so you could try disabling IPv6 in the modem by turning IPv6 state off in the modem's Advanced > Local Network, saving settings and then disconnecting and reconnecting device.

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - there is a post on the forum where a similar problem was resolved by a person who had a Mirabella Video Doorbell , sold by Bunnings, K-Mart and a variety of other brand names in Australia that was prevented from connection. His workaround was to link his mobile phone and doorbell to the 2.4 Ghz Guest Network. After installation he returned his mobile phone to the 5Ghz band - the incoming doorbell notification to his mobile must have connected via the 4G network instead of the Wi-Fi Network as the Guest Network users can not access the Main Network devices.

It confounds us all why sometimes things just won't connect as expected, particularly with budget 2.4GHz devices and yet they sometimes seem happier on some platforms but not others. Maybe the old Optus ADSL modem fully supports NAT Loopback to allow the security camera to activate on install with a mobile phone and connect to the mobile phone when it is inside and linked to the Wi-Fi Network of the home instead of using the 4G connection. 

View solution in original post

LanceL66

Oh my god, this frickin worked! The advice to login under guest and connect worked first time! Thank you very much, was about to throw the camera against a wall Smiley Happy

All working now - would be handy if the manufacturer tech support knew these options to try for frustrated customers.

Thanks again

Mkrtich

Thank you for verifying it worked for your camera; hopefully it will help others who read these posts in the future. I am very glad it worked for you - technology is meant to serve us and make our day less stressful. It seems this workaround needs to be applied to the current status of the Technicolor DJA0231 firmware only.  The Arcadyan version appears to operate without the workaround according to forum postings but handy to have up your sleeve if it causes issues with connectivity in the future as well. 

I am only the messenger - here is the original post. Credit for the solution should be given to @Tarn84  for submitting the fix and @Regardz  for explaining its operation in this post. As you can see from the number of views - it's a hot topic.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Wireless-doorbell-no-longer-works-after-movin...

MYHour
Level 2: Rookie

In addition to using the Guest 2.4Ghz, it's worthwhile noting that I also had to change the security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA+WPA2 PSK.

For completeness, Channel Width was 20MHz and Current Channel was 1.

Mkrtich

Thanks for posting the additional information that worked for you. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more