WOMBAT70
Level 1: Cadet

5G MODEM CABLE TO WALL MOUNT PHONE

We're currently using the Telstra supplied Gen2 Smart modem with the supplied battery backup ( we are priority assist due to disabillity ). We have our wall mounted phone connected to the modem . This phone is specifically required as it is currently set up . A  mobile phone setup is not suitable to our requirements . After some searching I see that the new HTC 5G modem has no RJ12 phone connection socket  & only one RJ45 socket for ethernet connections . I also found that a RJ45 > RJ12 Adapter cable can be purchased locally . I have read that this may solve our problem of connecting our specificaly required wall mounted hard wired phone if a RJ45 hub is also connected to the HTC 5G modem ... inline between the 5g modem & our RJ12 phone line , which , using the hub , would also allow us to continue to use our already installed ethernet cabling to 3 desktop computers in different rooms . I hope you can understand my proposed connections and also if you can verify that by connecting 1st , the RJ45 hub to the 5G modem , then 2nd , using the RJ45 > RJ12 adapter cable to connect our RJ12 rigged phone to the RJ45 hub . I hope that this issue can be solved before we further consider changing up to 5g when it becomes available . We are currently on FFTN NBN in an inner Adelaide suburb ... thanks ... ps ... considerations should be taken into account for those of us who wish the pluses of 5g but are unable to use mobile phones . This should have been considered before final modem build ... which should include a RJ12 phone line socket included in the 5g modem ... cheers ...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 5G MODEM CABLE TO WALL MOUNT PHONE

The RJ12 phone plug although smaller will fit into an RJ45 socket without needing a rj12 to rj45 adaptor.

Unfortunately you can't connect the RJ12 phone plug to the Ethernet socket on the HTC or via a Ethernet Hub (Network switch) connected to Ethernet socket on HTC. The phone uses a analogue signal and the Ethernet port on the HTC is a digital signal.

If you want to get rid of your NBN connection and be able to use your existing phone with a 5G modem you will need to get a VOIP adapter and a phone service from a VOIP service provider such as Mynetfone. The VOIP adapter converts the digital signal from the HTC Ethernets port to an analogue phone signal.

WOMBAT70
Level 1: Cadet

cf4 ... thanks for quick reply ... our wall phones are Uniden digital portables ... will I still have the problems you mentioned ?

cf4

Yes if the use the green phone port on the modem they require an analogue phone signal to work. The signal between the phone base and the cordless handset is digital, but the signal between modem and base is analogue.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more