katherineaw
Level 1: Cadet

Camera not recording

I've had Telstra smart home for about 3 months, but there are a couple of issues:

• I can only see an actual video feed if I record a video - otherwise the images are just stills.  How do I change that?
  • As of today, I can't even do that because the camera records video but I can't save or view it!

Anyone else come up against this issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Camera not recording

HI katherineaw,

Happy to help where I can.

Thanks for reaching out, if you can tell me what type of phone you have I can establish if what you're experiencing is normal.

Angela  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

chancema
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi katherineaw, 

Can you confirm that you are clicking through to the live video feed? The snippet on the home page is an image thumbnail that refreshes. Tap 'Cameras' to view the cameras page, and then tap on the camera you'd like to see a live stream of; you should see a message that says 'live camera stream loading' followed by the camera stream. 

If you are still getting just images- try logging into the web portal from a PC: smarthome.telstra.com/portal Can you see live video from here? (same steps- just click on your camera to load camera stream). 

Please let us know how you go! 

Cheers

Marti 

katherineaw

Hi Angela_H

I have an iPhone 7.  I have the same issue when I access the system through my iPad Pro. I can't imagine that the phone I have is the problem?

Thanks

katherineaw

Hi Chancema

Yes, I'm clicking through to the cameras page, but it just continually says "contacting camera" at the bottom of the image and I have the spinning wheel of death showing up over the image.  I can take a video or a picture, but can't get a live feed.

I'm also having the same issue with the web portal.

Thanks

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming. This could indicate an issue with the Wi-Fi signal or speed of the internet service in your home.

To help test this, I would suggest performing a speed test from a device connected to the modem via Ethernet cable to provide a baseline.

I would then suggest downloading the Telstra Wi-Fi Maximiser app from http://telstra.com.au/fix which will allow you to map the Wi-Fi coverage in your home and test not only the signal strength, but the signal quality too. 

You can use this coverage map to help determine if there is something in the home that is blocking the signal such as large fish tanks, fridges etc and to compare the coverage after you have changed the Wi-Fi channel. 

Let us know how you go.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more