gerdschenkel
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Connected Home

The rapid rise of digital content (photos, music, movies, ...) and the proliferation of connected devices in our homes and offices open up totally new opportunities to share and consume content.

The centre piece of a connected home is a fast internet connection plus a home Wifi network. A Telstra bundle comes with both.

But to make the most of this setup, it's worth investing a bit of time.

To get started, here is how you can connect media content from your PC, smartphone or tablet to your T-Box and hence your TV. Many new TVs have this functionality built in but most older ones don't.

Firstly, download Plex for your PC or phone from http://www.plexapp.com/ (Telstra does not officially endorse this app in particular. There are others. I just happen to have used this one in my home)

Then, set up Plex on your PC or phone. You can set up different media folders etc. Plex then scans your PC or device and catalogues the content.

Finally, go to your T-Box "My Media" menu. There you will see the Ples folders. Just selec the ones you'd like to listen to or watch and off you go.

Gerd Schenkel
Telstra Digital

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
grahami2006
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Making the most of a connected home

My message to other potential customers is to stay where you are or choose someone other than Telstra.

Graham

Luvs_footie
Level 20: Director

gerds,

A question.

I have an everyday bundle which includes free calls to landlines Australia wide from my home phone.

Why do I get charged for calls to 13 numbers?

Thank you

Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Luvs_footie,

13 numbers are not classed as standard landline numbers, and are charged at a standard flat rate of 35c per call

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Luvs_footie

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response

I know Telstra charges for 13 numbers.......LOL

What I would like to know is why these numbers are not included in my plan.

Just seems strange to me.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

As they are not classed as a local or national call then regrettably they are not available as included calls on the plans that we have available. I will be more than happy to have this feedback on having them included passed on to the products team for consideration on future plan releases. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Luvs_footie

Thanks DingoDan

I've been with Telstra for 47 years and I'm not being critical just trying to understand the why's.

I certainly would appreciate it if you would pass my concerns on.

Many thanks

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Totally understandable and more than happy to pass this on Smiley Happy It is feedback such as this that this team needs to make sure that we do have the right plans available for our customers Smiley Happy 

ken4888
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Connected Home

Gerd,

It is good that Telstra is advancing its communications.

Being an IT person for over 30 years I have moved along with it and pleased to see the advances.

However the support that follows is appalling. Once again I have encountered technical difficulties and tried to rectify any faults that might exist at my end first before approaching Telstra.

Recently I had to contact Telstra regarding an Accounts issue which was then converted to an Technical issue. This was considered resolved by the offer Telstra made to me. I accepted Telstras offer believing that Telstra would follow through on its committment. About 5 weeks later still no resolution. I contacted Telstra to try and resolve the issue. The following occurred. 10 hours of communication with both phone and 24x7 chats resulted in being told to call back the next day. The next day I contacted Telstra. About 6 Hours later and after multiple communications still no resolution. Today I am still waiting for someone to contact me regarding the issue.

Let me highlight the issue. Possible security breach of my account which lead to Technical support identifying that due to the 4G upgrades my area the current 3G Gateway was having conflicts and by Telstras technical advice I was to upgrade my Gateway to 4G capability. A question comes to mind. Am I not allowed to keep using 3G? In fairness Telstra did offer the Gateway upgrade for free and that is why I accepted their offer. I still wait for Telstras Support to do their job properly and resolve the issue in a prompt manner.

To return to a Connected Home. I don't live in the city. I live in a rural area we have a number of limitations and one of them is just getting connected! It is terrifc that today city folk have loads of access to entertainment etc. and it would be fantastic to get it. The trouble is Telstra is so focused on trying to get all the city folks money that the packages and connections don't apply fairly to those of us in the rural areas. Sure, Telstra is making an effort to get greater coverage across the country but it still hasn't got the fundamentals of connection right especially those of us that have restricted access.

As for Telstras claim on their Website for Expert Technical Support may I suggest you remove that claim. My experience so far suggests otherwise. As for Complaints then perhaps you should return your call centers to Australia employing Australians. Overseas centers do not understand our Country and its vast distances. Most staff give me the impression that all of us live in a city and we can simply duck down to a Telstra shop. When seeking higher authority within in Australia and to speak to an Australian that I can understand I am redirected to an overseas center with a person of lesser skills to respond then go through the whole process again.

As a customer i would expect a proffesional service and support and know that when I do business with Telstra I am treated accordingly. Perhaps Telstra could refocus on its complaints from its customers and realise that the decision to offload its services to overseas handlers is a mistake of the highest order. Considering the high cost of doing business with Telstra compared to other Telcos Telstra could well afford to bring all of its services back to Australia and run in all its forms by Australians.

Ken.

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the feedback, that isn't a good experience to hear about there. If you don't have any luck with your mobile broadband service after receiving the 4G solution please let us know and we can follow up on this for you.

-Matt W

Browser
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

But they are considered local calls by Telstra! So why are they charged at a higher rate than a local call and not included un bundles where local calls are 'supposedly' unlimited. Rude and greedy Telstra!
Notsophoney
Level 1: Cadet

Dear Ken

After a similar experience to yours I have given up on getting tech help from Telstra.  I have stuck to them because of coverage around Aus as I travel quite a bit.  I have now gone to a pre paid mobile wifi and a pre paid mobile phone.  It is a lot less trouble but precludes me from doing certain things I might like to.  It has cost me on an average of $30 / month for phone and about the same for wifi.  A lot cheaper than $200 / month for a contract!

Tsy

Good one Gerd.
phonehelp

I would like to endorse this speakers issues as I have exactly the same.

I am only 20km out of Armidale - a city that has NBN. All the town folk went from their high speed ADSL to their higher speed NBN. We have got nothing! I am running my PC on the 3G network because that is all I get. Downloading a video? Forget it. Youtube is a struggle. 

I am very annoyed as for over 10 years now I have been asking Telstra when we will get better service. The answer is always the same - 12 months. Even after 10 years they are still telling me 12 months.

Because the signal isn't strong enough to get 3g we had to install an antenna. So we hastily selected a spot and it is there and we get at least some service. Now I would like to use a router or extender of some sort (as I know full well all other users get to) and move the PC to a different area. 

Telstra informed me the ONLY way to do that is to buy an extender for 3G for $960!!! We get **bleep** service - I pay over $200 per month and now I'm expected to fork out nearly $1000 just to move my PC. I can imagine the uproar if this happened in Sydney.

Come on Telstra - start offering a service in the country like you promised years ago you would

Iluvgolf

Why, 

you state '13 numbers are not classed as standard landline numbers, and are charged at a standard flat rate of 35c per call.

why are they not the same as standard landline numbers, they go through the same process, exchangers etc. as normal calls do so why are they not included as standard calls. It appears to me and many others that this is just another money grab from Telstra, please enlighten me

heavyrockfarm52

Re: why offer nbn

why offer nbn then don't return calls, especially from team leaders.  34 years of loyalty - 34 years of being treated like navel fluff. Can anyone offer an answer re nbn 

heavyrockfarm52

I couldn't agree more. Well said

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more