lpp2503
Level 1: Cadet

google home and receiving calls

hi

i recently added telstra to my google home "Voice-activated calling".

when i was away from my house (~20klms) i received a call on my mobile only for it to also be sent to my google home.

ie the people at my home were able to hear who was calling me and if they wanted to could answer the call even though i was over 20klms away from my home and NOT connect to my home network

any ideas how this can happen ??

thanks 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: google home and receiving calls

Hi - in case this helps - could be a setting adjustment - see How to Receive Calls - "to prevent devices ringing when you are not home, you can add Do Not Disturb to the tasks run as part of Home & Away Routines" etc

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/telstravoltegooglespeaker 

lpp2503

hi

thanks for your reply

all sounds good..

however... i cant add "do not disturb/night mode" to the home & away routines... i can only adjust the devices i have ie lamp, kettle & nest camera...

the only solution is maybe set up "night mode" on a schedule ... not great... 

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There is no fix at the moment. It's a shortcoming in Google's system. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
lpp2503

thanks

its a real major shortfall... sadly an undocumented feature... users dont get told what could be a "side effect"

i think i will de-activate this functionality until its gets fixed

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback and sorry to have taken you down the wrong path with the Whirlpool link. Hope it gets resolved with future Google Home software. It's unexpected that if you share your phone location at home with Google in the App, that it would not use that setting for prevention of incoming ring if you are away from home. Looks like the other link relates to Google Nest only - giving one the impression that phone presence is designed for control of other smart home devices only.  

Thanks for clarifying the current situation Jupiter. 

lpp2503

it's a major shortfall all things considered... means someone in my house can answer the call !!! 

fyi when it rang it was 5.30am as i was out exercising... crazy 

lets hope it gets fixed soon

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more