Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Issues with google nest and Sonos

Hello. I have purchased 4 google

mini nests and am

having issues with the internet connection. Is it worth buying a wifi  extender to improve reception. The nests keep disconnecting and saying they are having problems connecting to the internet. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Issues with google nest and Sonos

A WiFi extender would only solve the problem if the google nest are located in a area with poor WiFi reception. I would try changing a few settins in the modem first.

1. Disable band steering by removing the tick next to band steerin in the modem's 2.4 Ghz WiFi settings. This will add -5G to the modem's 5 GHz WiFi SSID.
  2. Changing the WiFi Channel in each WiFi band from auto to a fixed chennel.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for your reply. What wifi extender would you recommend. 

Highlighted

I have only ever used three WiFi Extenders.

1. The Telstra Gen 2 Smart Booster. If you have Gen 2 (DJA0231, LH100) or Gen 1.1 (DJA0230) Telstra smart modem and can afford the $216 price tag I would recommend this device. It is easy to setup and has good performance but is only compatible with the with the above modems.

2. TP-Link TL-WLA850RE. This extender is cheap only about $40 but is only single band and rated at 300 Mbps. It is compatible with all the Telstra modems and gives reasonable performance providing a WiFi signal in areas such as my shed which was to far for my modem to reach.

3. Linksys AC750. I would not recommend this device Althoigh dual band I found I got better performance from The Tp-link extender. The distance at switch it would connect to the modem was less and devices connected to it had a slower speed than those connected to Tp-link extender. It's only plus was it was compatible with all the Telstra modems.

If you have a Gen 2 or Gen 1.1 modem and can afford the $216 I would recommend the Telstra Gen 2 Smart Booster. If you don't have the Gen 2 or Gen 1.1 modem I would recommend a TP-Link extender. There are dual band TP-link extenders. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more