iUseYahoo
Level 3: Gumshoe

Modem interaction via console

Answered

I'm trying to make a program to interact with my modem (smart gen 2) via console, example: I want to open a port on my network I just need to supply the internal IP, Wan and Lan port and the port forwarding name when it asks for my input, Is there a modem API for this? Currently I'm trying to use a POST request but each time the httoken changes each time you do anything. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem interaction via console

OK..  the simulated keystrokes might be a good exercise then..  good luck..

The Technicolor DJA0231 version of the modem is probably a better option - it seems to have a bit more of a following for those wanting to get access to the core functionalities but requires rooting to do that..  to my knowledge, the other Arcadyan LH1000 version can't be hacked like that..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The only way I know off that ports can be opened is to use UPNP or to manually set up the port forwarding rules in the modem

iUseYahoo

Is there a way to do that via console? (Python)

SteveW_52

You would have to build code around a lot of keystroke...  sounds like a complex way to manage a modem..

What are you trying to implement this on? There are not many residential type modem/routers that you can access easily. A microcontroller with a LTE/4G modem and a bespoke router might be easier. I played around with some of the Vue stuff a while ago, Vue Router for instance. I also did some interfacing to an ASUS router but it wasn't 100% successful.

One option you could look at, is using a Technicolor DJA0231 version of the Smart Modem 2 (you can find them for quite low cost on the secondhand market)- that model can be rooted and custom firmware installed. I haven't done it myself (no need these days) but there is discussion about it in places like Whirlpool, GitHub and Stack Exchange. There are other modems you could have a look at as well.

This might be of interest to you..  Hack Technicolour Modems 

Probably not a subject to discuss in this forum though?

Stevo 52
iUseYahoo

Thanks and to answer your question; What are you trying to implement this on? I'm not looking to implement this onto anything, just as a python coding project something to keep my 16 year old mind going and not being bored. Was originally just going to use it to open and close ports reboot the modem via command line interface.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

OK..  the simulated keystrokes might be a good exercise then..  good luck..

The Technicolor DJA0231 version of the modem is probably a better option - it seems to have a bit more of a following for those wanting to get access to the core functionalities but requires rooting to do that..  to my knowledge, the other Arcadyan LH1000 version can't be hacked like that..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

iUseYahoo

Yeah that sucks, I was hoping to have it do it without do the simulating keystrokes but looks like its the keyboard and mouse automation now I think, thanks for your response.

SteveW_52

The modem interface is web based, HTML, so it could be easier than you thing..  right click on the pages you need to see the source code..

Stevo 52
iUseYahoo

Thanks for the information on the dev tools, I've got it done with a keyboard and mouse controller.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more