Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Rinnai Air conditioner will not connect to wifi

I purchased 2 Rinnai air conditioning units in April 2019, despite numerous attempts, contact with Rinnai, home visits on 3 occasions with a Rinnai expert, following every step and work around I can find, the devices will not connect to my home network.  The excuses are varied (it must be your iPhone X, it must be the Telstra Gen2 smart modem, it must be on the wrong band width, there must be a problem with your set up)

Surely I'm not the only person with an iPhone X and a Telstra Gen 2 smart modem. Apparently the Tech Department have been looking at my problem since October, but still no answers. Expert came around again today and seems completely bemused, now we have to wait for the end of Chinese New Year, because that is where the generic app is built.

I have played around inside the modem settings, forget the network, disable 5ghz, disable band steering, reconnect to the network etc, etc, etc.

Surely in 2020 with connectivity such a part of our lives, this should be a simple and painless exercise.  Starting to regret buying Rinnai, the air con is great, but I bought it on the promise of smart connectivity, the third world quality app is letting the product down.
As a work around I have purchased a Sensibo unit to provide some functionality at extra cost.
Has anybody had any success connecting their Rinnai aircon to wifi?  Surely someone has found the solution to this problem.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Rinnai Air conditioner will not connect to wifi

What model modem do you have and what is it firmware version. This information is displayed on LHS of modem.

One thing you could try is changing both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS 1 and DNS 2 in the modem to a non Telstra DNS, There is a drop down list of DNS providers at Advanced > Local Network.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There was a solution in a previous post that used an old iPhone and old version of the app. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Router-will-not-connect-to-my-Rinnai-7kw-Q-Ser...

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks Jupiter, that previous post was part of my attempts, They have sent an “expert” to my house 3 times now, plus hours of attempts by phone. The problem seems to be a third party app that Rinnai have jumped on rather than developing their own. I really don’t think the end users should have to be playing around with settings inside the modem, uninstalling and reinstalling .Not sure whether the Telstra modem is too far ahead of the app developers.

Thanks for the reply, but I’m not really confident enough to start playing around with those sort of settings. Your answer sounds like a different language to me.

Highlighted

There are instructions in section 31 of the documents linked in these two posts on how to change DNS settings in the modem. If unsuccessful can always change back to original settings.

Arcadyan Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

Technicolor Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Highlighted

So, on the advice of Rinnai technicians I used my brothers phone as a hotspot, I was finally able to add the air conditioners to my Rinnai account and operate them through the app. Now of course they only work through his hotspot wifi. How do I change the units over to my home wifi so I can use them the way they were intended. I can’t leave my brothers phone in the house just so they can be connected to a wifi. Getting so frustrated with this nightmare app.

Highlighted

The rinnia airconditioner only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi. The 2.4 GHz WiFi band on the modem might be faulty. Have you checked to see if the moddm is transmitting on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band?

Highlighted

How would I check that? I temporarily disabled band steering and separated the 2, everything stopped working, when I tried to connect I kept getting a message on all my devices that the wifi password was wrong, reboot the modem and they would then reconnect automatically. I know that 2.4 is working as my Deebot vacuum cleaner works on that bandwidth ( V no issues with setup, just turned it on and it automatically selected the correct wifi bandwidth

Highlighted

Now that the ac units have been added to my account I need to know how to move them onto my home wifi network, or am I going to have to uninstall them and then try to reinstall? Which would mean installing through a hotspot has achieved nothing 

Highlighted

The fact that you lost the WiFi connection on all your other WiFi devices when you disabled band steering is a good indication that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working. When band steering is disabled the WiFi SSID of the 5 GHz WiFi band is changed to normal SIID with -5G added. The 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID remains unchanged. If the 2.4 GHz WiFi is working any devices connected to the 5GHz band will disconnect and reconnect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi when band steering is disabled. To connect them to the 5 GHz band you have to go into ther WiFi settings and reconnect to the new 5 GHz WiFi SSID. If the 2,4 GHz is not working then these previously connected devices will disconnect from 5 GHz WiFi because its SSID has changed but have no 2.4 GHz WiFi to connect to.

To pove 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working suggest you disable band steering in the modem and then check the list of available WiFi networks in one of your previously connected devices WiFi settings. You should now see a new SSID, (the normal SSID with -5G added). If you can connect to this SSID new SSID but not the normal SSID then the 2.4 GHz WiFi in the modem is faulty.

Highlighted

And yet my Deebot, which only works on 2.4, works perfectly, which would indicate to me that the 2.4 is fine 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more