Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Home Hub footprint

Trying to add new smart light to system,  its able to pair in another location, but will not connect to HUB if I place it where its needed (less than 10m from HUB).  What is the actual HUB footprint, I was lead to believe its approximately 20m.  Is there any way I can extend the footprint of the smarthome

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Smart Home Hub footprint

From memory the smart power plugs act as repeaters for the Zigbee wireless the systme uses. Could try placing a smart plug inbetween the hup and the light buld.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Wayneandjo,

The hub should be able to 'talk' to all devices within ~20 metres of it- so your light sounds like its within that distance.

When you pair the device, are you able to turn it off/on at that location, before you move it? And, once you move it, can you confirm that (1) you don't try to un-pair/re-pair the light (you just simply move it), and (2) that the switch at the wall is on?

Second- GuiltySpark is right that smart plugs act as repeaters for your Smart Home devices (such as sensors, light bulbs, and locks but not cameras). You should be able to just plug in the smart plug in between the hub and the light bulb, and Smart Home will do the rest.

Cheers
Marti
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Marti

I ended up installing a smart plug as suggested by GuiltySpark and it worked.

That was a little disappointing as the distance from HUB was only 13m as a strait line through a plaster wall and a door + screen.  It was interesting that a narrow sensor worked in exact location. Maybe the TX /RX quality of a smart light is less than that of a sensor who knows?

Anyway onwards I go

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more