Milestogo
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Home without a subscription

I have Nbn with Telstra along with multiple mobile devices.
I contacted Telstra Facebook support to see if I could use a smart kit without a subscription service. They said yes, just log into the app and connect the devices. So I purchased a camera kit from someone who never set theirs up as they were told it was a free accessory and had a kit for sale.
I can’t log into the app with one of my usernames, it says to call 132200.
Called and spoke to plat support, they said they can’t assist, to call sales; but I don’t want to pay for a subscription.
Is it a matter of activating the app access, and/or adding the assets to the account? It also came with two extra power plugs.
Unfortunately I can’t get through, can anyone advise?
Hope I didn’t waste my money now Smiley Sad

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Smart Home without a subscription

It's a subscription service, you will need to pay a monthly fee to use it.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
Milestogo

I’ve been told by 3 different Telstra help services that I don’t need it if I’m a Telstra customer.
The Facebook messenger, the 24/7 chat and the play support who said the assets need to be put on the account.
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

If the subscription isn't active it won't work at all.

The base subscription is $10 per month, but it is required for it to work.

That being said, if you believe that you were told incorrect information I would suggest lodging a complaint so they can look into it for you - https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It needs a subscription and a smart home hub for the devices to connect to.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Milestogo

The kit came with a home hub Smiley Happy
Yes I have the records of the play support who said the assets needed to be added and also the Facebook team.
Milestogo

Ok so it’s the ‘cloud service app and storage plan’ that is required is that correct? I can’t find anywhere on the website that states a $10 a month subscription.. Can you please point me in the right direction?
Thank you
Milestogo

Ok so I can do a casual plan Smiley Happy

‘The Smart Home Cloud & Service plan is charged on a monthly basis with no minimum term lock-in contracts and does not include any Early Termination Charges, however an active Smart Home Cloud & Service plan is required to use the devices in your Telstra Smart Home kit.’

$10 per month.
Thank you.
https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/smarthome/smart-home-plans/t...

DrQ

That is the one. Smiley Happy 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more