CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Power Plugs

Answered
Hi, i read on a previous thread that you can use the smart plug to turn kettle on in the morning.. what i dont know, is how? Help please!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Power Plugs

Hi StevieMG,
If you want your kettle to come on automatically you have to make sure that the kettle switch is actually on when plugged into the smart plug, so when the smart plug fires up the kettle will start automatically. As most kettles automatically turn off when boiled you will need to switch back on after each use. An example of this would be like this:
1) Turn on kettle switch, whilst the smart plug is technically powered off
2) Set automation for the smart plug to power on when you are due to wake up. (6.00am for example)
3) Set automation for the smart plug to power off 5-10 mins later (depending on how long your kettle takes to boil)
4) Make your coffee or tea and after your smart plug has turned off, switch the actual kettle back on so it's ready for the next morning.
Hope that helps.
David

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

So a smart power plug can turn on devices connected to them at certain times or if triggered by an automation.

For example I'm not a morning person, so at arough 0530 I have an automation that turns on my bedside lamps to wake me up.

In your case with a coffee machine, youd need a device that will start the coffee making process when powered on. I think perforated coffee machines start making coffee as soon as they have power delivered to them. Though I would recommend checking if that is a feature of the coffee machine before purchasing.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Hi StevieMG,
If you want your kettle to come on automatically you have to make sure that the kettle switch is actually on when plugged into the smart plug, so when the smart plug fires up the kettle will start automatically. As most kettles automatically turn off when boiled you will need to switch back on after each use. An example of this would be like this:
1) Turn on kettle switch, whilst the smart plug is technically powered off
2) Set automation for the smart plug to power on when you are due to wake up. (6.00am for example)
3) Set automation for the smart plug to power off 5-10 mins later (depending on how long your kettle takes to boil)
4) Make your coffee or tea and after your smart plug has turned off, switch the actual kettle back on so it's ready for the next morning.
Hope that helps.
David

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more