Level 1: Cadet

2.4ghz WiFi No Longer Working

Hi guys,

As of Saturday 3rd October, our Telstra Smart Modem has stopped broadcasting on the 2.4ghz channel. The 5ghz channel is working fine as we are able to connecf to the router via smartphones etc. 

The 2.4ghz channel is required for our SmartTV as it doesnt support 5ghz.

We have performed all the recommended troubleshooting steps including;

* Restart TV

* Factory Reset of TV

* Restart Smart Modem

* Factory Reset of Smart Modem

* Manual Configuration of DNS on TV and other devices referencing the 2.4ghz SSID

* Decoupling of 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID's

My question is, has anyone else encountered a similar issue? Is this to do with a recent firmware update or is there a fault in the hardware? I notice there are a number of similar articles out there with no real resolution available.

NB: The 2.4ghz channel is no longer available on any device (smartphone, laptop, TV etc).

Any help would be appreciated!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 2.4ghz WiFi No Longer Working

I will hazard a guess that this might be due to the automatic enabling of Protected Mode Frames (PMF) on the wi-fi channels of your smart modem, by a recent firmware update. This mostly impacts older 2.4Ghz only devices.

You seem to be able to get into the modem interface OK, so have a look on the Wi-Fi tab for those switches (some devices need you to go to advance first to access wi-fi so you can change them)  and turn PMF OFF..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately this didn't help.

I've asked Telstra to investigate but they are being extremely unhelpful. Hopefully can get to the bottom of this!

Going through the My Telstra app might not get to an area of Telstra  support that has the knowledge to do what you want.

If you changed and saved the PMF setting, can you see those WiFi channels when you try to join a device to the network?

You could also try turning of Band Steering in the modem interface, which will give you two seperate Wi-Fi bands, the usual one and one with -5 appended to the SSID (5 GHz band obviously). you can then select which band a device connects too provided you can see those two networks when you try to connect.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is your modem the DJA0231? There have been quite a few post were the 2.4 GHz WiFi stops working and can only be fixed by replacing the modem. This happened to my DJA0231 modem.

This is happening to me as well, with the same modem.

Suggest you contact Telstra support and lodge a fault that the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working.

Geez the Telstra support circus just goes around in circles, doesn't it? Absolute joke. 

Has Telstra offered to replace modem? The loss off 2.4 GHz WiFi is a hardware issue and can only be fixed by replacing the modem. There have been quite a few DJA0231 modems with this issue so Telstra support should be aware of the problem

If Telstra want replace modem lodge a complaint using the My Telstra app or the online form.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

You are right there - Telstra is bit like the Crazy House and Mirror Maze combined, of late.

Stevo 52

Hi - if you have kept your previous modem, which may have retained its working 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi link setting to your Smart TV, as a possible interim possible solution pending resolution with Telstra and arrival of your replacement modem, you can, if practical within your home layout, connect your old modem to the Telstra Gen 2  modem with a LAN cable. 

If the LAN IP Addressing in your old modem is different to the IP Address scheme used in the Telstra modem e.g. 192.168.1.1, you should be able to connect the WAN port from the old modem to a LAN port on the Telstra Modem. If it has the same IP addressing scheme as your Gen 2 i.e. 192.168.0.1, it needs reprogramming with DHCP turned OFF,  Restarted and connected LAN-LAN otherwise an IP conflict will arise and it won't connect to the Internet. 

* unaware if a practical suggestion subject to inter-modem LAN cable distance in your home and location of your TV.   

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit