Astrix
Level 1: Cadet

2.5 year FTTN customer, common sense is required and Telstra should give me 100 tier back.

Hey guys,

I am 30 meters form the node and can get 132/50 and have been on the 100/40 for 2.5 years. The last few months my NBN had been unusable with 10-20 dropouts a day and constant packet loss. Ive had to install a brand new line and was signed up to 50/20 and was told that they could upgrade me when I can show my line can do 100/40. I have a brand new line now this time without bridge tap and cherry picked my NBN and my modem says I can get 135/52 but looks like they wont upgrade me back to what I have been paying for for 2.5 years and in fact still have the 100/40 service at this time at the same address. This is unacceptable that i was forced to put in a new line as the service has been unusable for 1-2 months plus waiting for them to connect the new line for 3 weeks after laying the original cable and I got a electritian to feed into my house. I'll be switching and possibly complaining to the ombudsman on this issue for sure. I'd rather stay at Telstra as Ive had 100/40 24/7 anytime for 2.5 years without issue. This is such a let down.

When I ordered the new line I asked to transfer my old account to it which would have saved the 100 tier account but they said the only option is to sign a new contract and pushing a new GEN 2 router I didnt need possibly to lock me in and lock me out of 100tier. I still have a 100/40 at this adreess common sense is required. I need to close that account as it's broken and won't be paying for both but want to wait till I can get 100 on the other as not to shoot my self in the leg.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: 2.5 year FTTN customer, common sense is required and Telstra should give me 100 tier back.

Why did you have to order a brand new line? If your original service was OK until recently, then developed a fault, did you report that and ask for it to be fixed? I'm missing something...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 2.5 year FTTN customer, common sense is required and Telstra should give me 100 tier back.

Getting the new line installed (don't know why it wasn't done as a repair - that wouldn't have affected the plan you were on) meant that Telstra had to start a new service and plan.

They stopped providing the 100/40 tier altogether a while ago and do not provide the 100/20 tier to FTTN due to the inconsistencies with providing the service over that technology type (and they were getting into trouble with the Ombudsman and the ACCC when they did, so they decided just not to make it available as an option).

Pretty sure that the Ombudsman will not be able to do anything. They can't force a provider to provide a service that they don't cater for. If you want the higher speeds, you will need to change to a provider who does cater for grater than 50/20 on an FTTN service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Astrix

My NBN connection was was taped into a old telephone line that worked well for 2.5 years then all of a sudden it all went down hill. Telstra told me it was a damaged gridge tap and and I could pay to have it fixed. The problem with that is the cable was connected under the house it's a old raised house and the cable is hanging all over the place and is not ideal as someitmes contractors have to go under there to fix a leaking pipe whcich recently happend and it will just get damaged again. Next NBN said they found the issue with my connection and it will be taking out work on it and and the next day then said they fixed the issue.

It finnally was working without packed loss and stats were back to normal on the router for a whole weekend at least 2-3 days I tested it thourally playing COD Warzone online so I would have instantly felt any packed loss which i'd get every game every 20-30 min for 10-20 seconds if I was lucky enough not to disconect. I thought they fixed it but a few days later it started all again. I had no choice as the way the cable was it was going to get damaged again possibly the next time someone goes under the house or a cat gets snagged on it. 

The NBN technicial on the last day removed a huge bundle of cables when he connected me and said the cables that I was using were very old and damaged and he was looking for the best way to hook me up The installation now goes around the house using conduit with a riser from the electricity pole where my HFC used to be so now has no chance of getting cought up of someone has to crawl under the house for repairs or some other reason. 

SteveW_52

But I still don't see why you should have had to pay at all - after all you have an existing service which you pay for, provided over the existing cabling that was there when they first connected that service - including the bridge tap..  repairs to a subsequent fail of the copper service in the street and to the house are not your cost surely? If you had caused damage within the house wiring, or dug up the cable etc. then sure - it is down to you. But it doesn't sound like that was the case..  anyway, it's done now and unfortunately isn't delivering the performance you want. Having to order a new service to replace the faulty one has a hint of gouging too it - making you pay to fix the Telstra/NBN service and in the process sign up to a new plan of lesser performance..  it doesn't seem right to me??

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Astrix

Yeah I don't get how NBN said they fixed it and it was perfect for a few days only to go back to where it was. The way it was done was pretty crap. I thought I had a new line when I signed up to teltra a few years back but the used a old line that hadn't worked for years. I wasn't even able to switch to the new plans before this issue when I found them online. They have a 100 tier on there for approx $30 cheaper than what i've been paying since 2.5 years. Im still paying 130.00 a month for the 100/40 which I will now loose. So unfair they should credit me since changing their plan prices specially since the service has been broken for months.

They also says it's month to month no contract but force you to take the Gen 2 modem. I should have been given the new modem for free as it wireless performs better my PC has Wifi6 so it does 5ms ping wirelessly acrross the property. If I want to leave Telstra I still have to pay off the modem. The new modem hides your Max line speed wchich is pretty shifty if you ask me but I can see it on my old modem I didn't need a eqw modem wbut didn't have a choice. 

This is a old screenshot of my old modems stats I beleive I took it when thisngs were running well as the stats look perfect 130/50 the new one is the same 130/50 but lately the old is constantly changing something I didn't ever see for 2.5 years. https://share.getcloudapp.com/QwuE4o0Y

Jupiter

There is actually a choice not to take the modem. It can be removed from the order at time of placement by the consultant (also, if the system shows that you already have a compatible modem it shouldn't be sent). The only time it can't be removed is when the customer orders the plan online without consultant involvement.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

That's right @Jupiter   but the pre-requisite there is that the 'consultant' advises the customer of that option.. 

the OP's current situation has a bit of a smell to it, in being forced to order a new line at additional cost, on a new plan, but with not much open disclosure of all the options available to him. And all because an existing service was faulty???

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Yes. The whole situation has be handled in an odd manner. It should have been handled as a repair request to NBN Co (NBN Co are also the only one's who can run a new line), and gone on form that point. People need to realise that it is not Telstra infrastructure any more. Telstra only provide the service, not the cables, so they are limited in what they can do these days. Basically, they can keep submitting repair requests to NBN Co, they can't demand cable replacements, that is a decision in the hands of NBN Co.

An order for a new line should never have been done. The problem is, if the customer requests it, the consultant cannot refuse the request and must process the order (NBN Co can refuse it, but will only do so if the existing infrastructure in the area won't support the extra connection).

Ultimately (and I don't mean to be rude to the OP), it comes down to faulty NBN Co infrastructure and an impatient end user who (rightly) just wants a working service. They just went about it the wrong way and ended up with something they weren't expecting.

To be brutally honest, it's almost certainly going to be a case of cancel the original faulty service, put in a claim for compensation for the time that it was faulty, and then look for a provider who can provide the speeds that they are looking for on their new functional line (and cop the payout figure on the modem).

Astrix

bassically got a email from telstra saying my line can do 129/50 way to stick it to someone!

https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAuDQokR

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit