Yols84
Level 1: Cadet

2 ISP connection to my home

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with having 2 Telstra connection to my home.

There seems to be no other way to get faster internet in brisbane atm.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 2 ISP connection to my home

There are a few of issues with trying to get a 2nd Internet connection to your home in Brisbane.

• Most of the Infrastructure in Brisbane is now under NBN Co control (even where you can't currently get it). They only allow a single connection to a property under their rules and won't allow a second line to be installed.
  • If you aren't in an area that is already under NBN Co control, then you will only be able to get a second line installed for internet if the infrastructure is available for it to be installed. The limited availability of ADSL ports or HFC tapping points is going to be a problem. Plus, once the NBN is rolled out in your area (within 11-13 months), you will lose one of the lines automatically as they only convert one, which means you've spend a fair bit of money for limited benefit timewise.
  • You would need to buy an aggregator and know how to set it up in order to take true advantage of multiple connections.
  • None of this will help if the backhaul from the exchange is the primary cause of your slow speeds.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Yols84
Level 1: Cadet

Hmmm. Yeah ok. My router has the ability to aggregate 2 ISP.

I hoping as I had fibre to the premis that this might be possible.
Jupiter

If you've got FTTP (quite a rare thing for most of Brisbane), then it is possible to have 2 connections. Just not sure if you can have 2 Telstra connections. You can definitely get services from 2 different RSPs.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit