COOKANG
Level 1: Cadet

2+ Years no NBN connection for Granny Flat

Answered

So it's been 2+ years trying to get this sorted for a newly built granny flat. The Lead-in conduit is already installed and prepared for connection to NBN via overhead to a telegraph pole which cost me $1k+.

- NBN dug a hole to prepare for NBN and it wasn't possible due to involving concrete cutting. Free of charge

- Called up for a year, back and forth to request overhead connection rather than underground, reference numbers after reference numbers. Was initially told it would be $400 and subject to change, then days later was told its free of charge, even the lead-in conduit installer said it should be, and if not then I can complain to the telecommunications ombudsman

- Now somehow NBN had changed policy that I had to call via a telco to have the NBN connection arranged.

- Called Telstra up and they say I have to choose a service plan to get the NBN box installed to have NBN connection. This costs $300 and is sent to NBN because 'New Development' something, me being billed by Telstra. On top, I have to pay for a monthly plan to get the NBN connection box. I can only pay for the first month but the cheapest plan with Telstra is $80. I am aware there are other telcos.

I am so over this. Is the NBN connection meant to be free or not? Can I no longer have NBN connection only for the granny flat, and leave for the tenants to sort out whichever telco they want for internet and phone services?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: 2+ Years no NBN connection for Granny Flat

No. NBN Connections are not supposed to be free.

All NBN connections are charged a $300 connection fee on the initial connection (it is a charge levied by NBN Co).

I'm surprised that NBN Co has previously dealt with you directly in the past as that has never been their policy.

It has always been that customers need to deal with an RSP.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Victimaswell
Level 1: Cadet

Join the club. The nbn, like Telstra, have no idea about customer service. My suggestion would be to run an Ethernet cable from the mainhouse nbn modem, or, if the granny flat close to the main house, a directional wifi aerial pointed to the granny flat. Upgrade the nbn internet to an unlimited data service so there’s no argument about data use charges. Granny can pay 50% of the monthly nbn service to the main house. I don’t think the nbn is required to provide a second service to a single residential plot.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

No. NBN Connections are not supposed to be free.

All NBN connections are charged a $300 connection fee on the initial connection (it is a charge levied by NBN Co).

I'm surprised that NBN Co has previously dealt with you directly in the past as that has never been their policy.

It has always been that customers need to deal with an RSP.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit