Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

30 Dropouts a day caused by low Output power?

My internet seems to finally be back to normal. Now after 2 months of frustration with trying to have my connection issues fixed, I'm left wondering.
I've been monitoring my modems connection for weeks now & the problem I had looks like it was related to the upstream output power?
When its high the connection is good, if it's low (under 5 dBm) the connection drops & the upload speed is reduced. Hopefully it stays high now to keep it running.
I have many screenshots taken over the last couple of months that show the same thing. Low output power on my upstrem = dropouts + crawling upload speeds. Could this have been the problem all this time that was fixed by just raising my output power to the DSLAM?
Would be nice if Telstra or NBN would let me know what they did for peace of mind.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: 30 Dropouts a day caused by low Output power?

Highlighted

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Was probably an issue with the line. The higher frequencies used on NBN FTTN/B/C are more sensitive to line issues.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Whatever the problem was I wish they would tell me. Because it took 6 NBN tech escalations, of which only 1 actually visited the premises & all fixed nothing. The last booking they again found the problem somewhere without having to come to my house. But this time it finally seems fixed.
I'm just guessing that it's linked to the upstream output power because I don't have an explanation from Telstra.
And also to help other people if they see their output power is also low and are experiencing dropouts.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The low upstream output power level is symptom rather than the cause. Notice that the upstream attenuation has also increased. Unless you actually talk to the technician fixing the fault you will never know what the actual cause of the fault was. It was probably a faulty termination at node or one of the connecting pillars or pits.

Highlighted

Yeah, woulda been nice if he actually came to my house so I could talk to him. Especially when they called & said he could come early because he was ahead of schedule & would be right over. Instead I waited another 5 hours & just got a tweet from Telstra saying "Looking at the reference number that you provided us previously, it has just been updated to show that NBN Co have attended and made repairs to the network."
At least now it's finally fixed.
But I have to say the systems in place to lodge faults and have them fixed are extremely frustrating, especially since the rollout of the NBN.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit