Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

4G Backup Failed to Take Over During Dropouts

Answered

Hi,

I've just got my Telstra NBN (HFC) connected on Monday (03/02/2020) with a Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan LH1000) and I've already experienced 5 dropouts in the past 3 days, please see below:

February 5, 2020, 02:47 AM AEDT, 6 mins
February 5, 2020, 01:10 AM AEDT, 7 mins
February 4, 2020, 10:30 AM AEDT, 2 mins
February 4, 2020, 10:20 AM AEDT, 1 min
February 3, 2020, 09:04 PM AEDT, 8 mins

FYI, both the lead-in cable to my property and the cable goes into the NBN connection box (from the lead-in cable) are all new and installed by NBN, so the 'physical' connection/cable should not be an issue.

I was very surprised that the Telstra's built-in 4G connection did NOT kick in and took over and we were left with no internet connections until HFC connection came back.

Can someone please answer the following questions for me:

1. Why did I have those dropouts with a new connection?

2. Under what circumstance does the built-in 4G connection took over?

I had previously experienced regular dropouts with another provider and reason why I switched over to Telstra was because of this 4G backup feature but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

Thanks.

HFC connection via a Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan LH1000).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G Backup Failed to Take Over During Dropouts

1.  There could be pro lem with the NBN infrustructure that is causing the dropouts. Suggest you contact support and lodge a fault.
  2. It takes about 4 minutes for 4G backup to kick in o es a fault is detected so 4G backup should have operated on at least three of those dropouts. Is the  wireless signal light on? If wireless signal light is not on log into modem and go to Advanced > Internet > LTE and check if SIM Status is Valid. If SIM stafus is not shown as valid try removi g and then reinserting SIM. SIM is located on back of modem near WAN port. Side with cut off edge goes in first and metal contacts are on WAN pprt side.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G Backup Failed to Take Over During Dropouts

1.  There could be pro lem with the NBN infrustructure that is causing the dropouts. Suggest you contact support and lodge a fault.
  2. It takes about 4 minutes for 4G backup to kick in o es a fault is detected so 4G backup should have operated on at least three of those dropouts. Is the  wireless signal light on? If wireless signal light is not on log into modem and go to Advanced > Internet > LTE and check if SIM Status is Valid. If SIM stafus is not shown as valid try removi g and then reinserting SIM. SIM is located on back of modem near WAN port. Side with cut off edge goes in first and metal contacts are on WAN pprt side.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit