Tobes01
Level 2: Rookie

5g Home - false detection of modem outside home area

I installed a Telstra 5g home modem a few days ago and have been getting speeds in the 300-450Mbps range.

However over the last couple of days I've got SMS messages from Telstra saying they've detected the modem has moved outside my home area - it hasn't moved anywhere!! - and the speed is throttled to unusable 1-2Mbps.

Seems to be happening late at night/early morning and the high speed can return and then I'll get another false detection message and it will drop off again. I'm in the Kennington/Bendigo Vic area.

Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 5g Home - false detection of modem outside home area

Telstra might be doing maintenance work on your local 5G tower during times speed is reduced and you get the message. Modem might be connecting to another tower making the network think you are in another location. The periods that low speeds occurr are the times Telstra does planned maintenance.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Atmospheric conditions (increased humidity/inversion layer) at those times may be allowing a connection to be made with the tower in Bendigo Central (which should normally be too far away to connect to).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tobes01

That sounds plausible, but if this sort of interruption is ongoing then the 5G home broadband won't be for me. I want a reliable service available any time of the day. 

I feel it is unacceptable that a RBS tower issue would register a false positive for the geographical locking. Telstra should be aware of any maintenance/faults and this should be factored in for modems in the maintenance/fault area. They clearly haven't given this enough thought.

I still have my Telstra  FTTN NBN connected at this stage - that's limited to around 30Mbps download due to being 500-600m from my node. Very disappointing speed when I originally signed up to a 100Mbps plan, but at least it has been reliable.

I'll give the 5G service another week to see how it goes.

cf4

When they have finished upgrading the tower the interruptions due to maintenance should stop. I have am trialing one of these devices. Have had it for about three weeks and have not noticed any interruptions. I also have an NBN FTTN connection which is about 700 Meters cable distance from my premises. Sync speed is about 44/12. The 5G modem is faster delivering between 200 and 400 Mbps down and between 20 and 40 Mbps up but will be returning modem at the end of trial due to IP cameras not working. Also will probably lose my big pond email address if the FTTN link is canceled.

Tobes01

Can anyone confirm the cancellation of Bigpond email addresses when switching to the Telstra 5g home plan??

That would be a deal breaker for me.

cf4

I used Telstra chat and this is the reply.

"If the nbn service gets disconnected then you can contact us and we will assign xxxxxx5@bigpond.com for your 5g services. You can assign xxxxxx5@bigpond.com as a primary email address and xxxxxx5@bigpond.com as a secondary email address."

Tobes01

Thanks for that info - not sure if it sounds that convincing.

I've got 7 bigpond email addresses, so need to make sure they would be retained.

Email accounts are managed via profile in the 'My Telstra', not through the NBN internet service - so I never considered they could disappear with the change over(?).

I'll try the chat service myself and see if I can confirm - rather speak to someone, but that seems impossible with Telstra these days unless you've got all day to wait.

Back on the thread topic, I received another text message from Telstra at 2308hrs tonight saying:

"we've detected you've taken your 5G modem outside your home area....etc" - completely bogus of course.  

Checked when I got home at 0030hrs and everything was fine - tested at 440Mbps via ethernet.

Jupiter

Email accounts are tied to a Home Broadband service, so if you cancel that then the email addresses area cancelled as well. To keep them (for a maximum of 12 months) you need to notify Telstra before a Home Broadband service is cancelled. It comes down to whether Telstra classify the 5G Home service in the same manner.

As far as your problem with the 5G service leaving home, I'm pretty confident that it is because it switches to a different tower due to prevailing conditions. It may be one of those tweaks that Telstra needs to do with the system to widen the area that is considered "home". Although there will always be exceptions due to terrain and other local conditions where transmissions travel further under certain circumstances.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tobes01

I agree on what's triggering the issue (switching towers) but wonder if Telstra will address the issue. 

Once the switch is detected the service is unusable at my location  due to extreme throttling - even though the modem might show 'good' signal strength.

Don't think I'll gamble on a resolution if this persists for another week.

Tobes01

Well I tried the Telstra message system today to get some answers - unable to speak to anyone due to long queues.

Asked about the email and the rep said I could move my bigpond email but it would be a $79/yr fee!!

That probably isn't correct, but at that point I lost all confidence that I wouldn't be screwed over with my email accounts - of which my family have 7  total - so possibly $553/yr.

So I requested they cancel the 5G service and got this response:

"Yes sure no worries hold on but there will be an Early Termination fee of $686.65"

After a bit of to and fro the rep went to check and then confirmed that there wouldn't be a cancellation fee.

This was a very protracted conversation as it doesn't happen in real time - the rep is probably juggling a number of 'chats' at the same time.

The rep went off to cancel my service - which then happened immediately - severing the chat and leaving me hanging without any confirmation.

BTW I raised the issue about the false detection of the modem leaving my home address,  but this was futile as there was clearly no technical support/knowledge to be had from this service. Basically said this would be provided as feedback. 

The chat system is rubbish.

It took about 45min to do something that could have been achieved with a 5min conversation.

cf4

Your lucky it only took 45 minutes. Some people have spent hours on chat without achieving a results. Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the the 5G home broadband service doesn't include email.

I wouldn't be surprised if Telstra stop providing email on NBN links as it no longer advertises email as a feature on new services. Telstra seems to be deleting a lot of the free addons. This week I got a email notifying me of Telstra no longer supplying free antimalware software as part of broadband protect. Telstra has already removed free access to Telstra Air for fixed line broadband and prepaid mobile customers.

Tobes01

@cf4 I'm not sure its correct that the 5G does not have email - they did have one of my email addresses assigned to the service in the 'My Telstra' page. 

I still can't see why the addresses would be tied to the NBN internet service as the Bigpond mail server should be a separate entity maintained by Telstra. Seems like an admin issue as to how these email addresses are associated with Telstra accounts. 

Paying for a Telstra Bigpond email to be moved from one Telstra internet service to another Telstra internet service is a ridiculous concept - though I'm not sure I was given the correct information as this rep was also going to charge me for cancellation of the free 5G trial. 

In any case I'm glad have cancelled as don't want any worries with reliability of connection or losing my email accounts.

Jupiter

The infomation about the $79 per year fee they gave you is incorrect. They changed the Telstra Mail system on the 29th September 2020 so that the paid option is no longer available, you can only keep your email for a year, and new Home Broadband services do not get access to Telstra Mail.

It looks like the Telstra Mail system is effectively in end of life mode, given the above. If I had a Telstra Mail account as my primary emails, I would be migrating them away before I was given no choice. It's better to have time to prepare.

Tobes01

Sorry - the info I had on Telstra mail in this post was old, now deleted

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

I offer 2 suggestions,

Migrate to gmail which is reliable, stable, POP, web based and most of all free and ISP independent.

Consider 4GX mobile broadband which doesn't have the plethora of different issues of current preliminary 5G.

I have used it over 15 hours a day for almost 5 years and even with a very poor weak signal get 200 to 300 mb/s with a nighthawk modem.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
cf4

4GX might be just as fast as the Telstra 5G Home Broadband but if you use a lot off data it works out more expensive. Telstra 5G Home broadband provides 500 GB of data for $85 throttled at 25 Mbps if data allowance is exceeded.

GMAIL is free and reliable but is no good for people who value there privacy. Google reads the mail and targets sends targeted adds depending on the content of the emails.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

My suggestion was based on the OP being so frustrated with 5G home/ mobile broadband that he cancelled it.

I don't know what percentage of people want more than 200GB of 4GX data Telstra offer for $75,  which they seem to be periodically doubling the data for the same price and at times reducing the price.

Re the OPs mail problems, and the endless Telstra email complaints here ......I mentioned gmail as an alternative in the light of those complaints.I have had multiple gmail accounts for many years and I haven't noticed any targetting with ads. Like everyone else with certain desktop web based searches using Google, I have been targetted like everyone else.

I really have nothing to hide as my life is so simple !!!!!!! and even if gmail read them, they would be bored !!!!!!!

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Tobes01

To be clear, I cancelled my 5G service mainly due to a lack of confidence in support for issues (couldn't get an answer on the false geo locking issue) and the possibility of losing my email accounts (which customer service indicated I could keep only at a cost). Yeah, I know I should migrate away from ISP provided email accounts, but once you have things established around those accounts it's just a hassle. 

Most of the time the 5G service tested fast and worked great.

It's unfortunate customer support couldn't provide any assurance or explanation for the issue but at the end of the day reliability is far more important than download speed for me. 

In actual fact for normal internet/Netflix etc by multiple users the 5G service provided no advantage over my much slower (crippled to 30Mbps) NBN FTTN service. So cancelling it was a no-brainer with the question marks raised. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit