AndyE2
Level 1: Cadet

5G Home Internet plan

Answered

NBN FTTC is available to my address, BUT there is no conduit or cable to the rear unit - to install conduit for NBN connection would be very expensive due to distance, concrete driveway and congested water, gas, electricity services in unknown locations. Overhead connection is not an option due to distance and neighbouring buildings. So 5G appears to be the only solution.

Problem - The Telstra 5G coverage map Our Coverage & Rollout Maps - Telstra shows the property is well within the 5G coverage area, BUT when I attempt to place an order via 5G Home Internet plans from Telstra, I get the following message. Can someone please provide a solution?

1. Check your address

Confirm if Telstra 5G Home Internet is available to you.

5G Home Internet is not available at your address
Telstra 5G may not be in your area or you may not be eligible for this offer.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: 5G Home Internet plan

Do you have a traditional phone socket in your unit? That is all you need for an FTTC connection.

Also, if conduit is needed to be installed, go to the Body Corporate. The roof space is usually classified as common property for the purposes of running services in unit complexes.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

acoul
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Did you get a response or a solution? I have a similar issue. No lead in. Previous owners used Optus (aerial cable). So presence of phone sockets in house meaningless, this house is full of them.

5G works very well, I bought their $600 modem but it only comes with 200Gb/month. Burned through that in a week. I want the 500Gb 5G Home offers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4

At the moment Telstra is only Trialing  5G and it is only available to some existing customers which Teldtra has sent a invitation to join email too. Once trial period is over you should be able to successfully apply for 5G connection.

"This plan is only available to eligible customers who are invited to take up this plan via a direct communication or through our Contact Centre and who use their plan at a preapproved address in a 5G coverage area. "

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/home-internet/telstra-bundle...

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Do you have a traditional phone socket in your unit? That is all you need for an FTTC connection.

Also, if conduit is needed to be installed, go to the Body Corporate. The roof space is usually classified as common property for the purposes of running services in unit complexes.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

AndyE2

No phone socket/s. Not a body corporate. The property is a subdivided suburban block with two houses. One at the front and the one with the problem at the rear. The issue is the original owner/developer of the rear property failed to put conduit in for telecommunications when the other services were installed and then concreted over every bit of common property. So no space for conduit without digging up or cutting concrete.

acoul
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Did you get a response or a solution? I have a similar issue. No lead in. Previous owners used Optus (aerial cable). So presence of phone sockets in house meaningless, this house is full of them.

5G works very well, I bought their $600 modem but it only comes with 200Gb/month. Burned through that in a week. I want the 500Gb 5G Home offers.

Jupiter

If you enter your address at https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/5g-broadband-plans#sq then it will tell you if you are eligible (it is only available in certain areas at the moment, those areas that have identified inferior Broadband infrastructure).

AndyE2

No solution provided by Telstra crowd, other than WAIT for trials to be completed and 5G to be released in my area. Fortunately the local tower is a combined site with both Telstra and Optus services and there is another tower closer which has Vodafone. Telstra and Optus both have active 5G services from the local tower but neither are available at this stage for 5G Home, it's a case of hurry up and wait.

Notwithstanding, the price and data allowances advertised by Telstra and Optus for 5G home are like Chalk and Cheese, Telstra's is only offering 200Gb and 500Gb packages, which carry a higher price than Optus packages - which have unlimited data at two speeds/prices, lower price is speed limited to 50Mb, slightly higher price is unlimited speed (expect 100+ potentially 300>400mb). 4G is available from all carriers in my area, but pricing/data allowances is not viable for heavy home use.
Our interim/mid term solution is to piggy back off a very friendly neighbour's NBN connection, which he is sharing via a network cable from his router's LAN output to an adjoining 2nd neighbour's router's WAN input. The 2nd router is then linked to my router from the 2nd router's LAN output via a network cable that runs over the fence to my router's WAN input. The speed at the 3rd router is typically 50+Mb. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit