Axel62
Level 2: Rookie

5G home internet Plan

I am currently trialing the 5G, 1000gb home internet plan and and very happy with it so far.  The 1000gb on offer is good but 5G chews through the data like no tomorrow.  Upon signing up for the trial, an email from Telstra says if you go over the 1000gb, speed is capped at 25mbs until the start of the new billing period.  Critical summary info adds "and slowed further in busy periods."  I contacted the dedicated 5G home internet phone number to enquire about what is "busy periods" and what speed would it be further slowed down to. The operator advised me she would need to speak to another person and was then advised the speed would be below 50mbs.  Unfortunately my question wasn't really answered so, can anyone tell me what is a busy time and what speed would it be possibly slowed further down to?  Has anyone been subject to the speed cap and what speed were you getting when you did go over the data limit?  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 5G home internet Plan

Busy periods aren't time based. They occur when large amounts of data are being used in the same tower and the system will automatically reduce the throughput of connections to maintain the usability for as many connections as possible. It is not a defined figure.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Axel62
Level 2: Rookie

Re: 5G home internet Plan

Ok, cheers thanks for that 👍

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit