ddmmmyyyy
Level 1: Cadet

5G home wireless broadband with 200GB limited is insufficient

Telstra sell person recommended 5G wireless boradband to me as I have issue with nbn not service on my property. I explained to the sell person that I am heavy user with 10 devices connected the same time where we used to watch youtube, wfh, home security camera, 5 mobile phones etc. The sell person mentioned that 200gb should be enough and meet my need. After I agreed with it and received the 5G modem yesterday at noon (7/4/2021), I used it for 6 hours but the total download already 30gb. I realized that I will not make it to the end of the bill cycle so on the same day I called Telstra support to try to resolve this issue. But Telstra support informed me that I have to pay over $700 for the early exit for modem cost. Telstra will only waive the modem fee if it is sealed/unopen. I think this is unacceptable as the sell person mentioned to me that it will be suitable for my usage. Telstra told me that support team will call me within 48 hours but I still haven't receive a phone call. So I used CrowdSupport to see further support or feedback. I believed it is unacceptable solution from Telstra so far.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 5G home wireless broadband with 200GB limited is insufficient

Are you sure that thr modem has to be in its original box unopened. I tried the 5G service and was only required to return the modem in good condition to avoid paying for modem. I was original told I would have to pay for modem but when I pointed out that contract stated that the service could be terminated at any time provided modem was returned the termination fee was waived. Telstra even payed the cost of postage. I still received a final estimated  bill with the cost of the modem but the final bill did not include the cost of the modem.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I agree with @cf4 on this - I think you may have been misinformed by the agent. The Telstra 5G Home Internet FAQ clearly states that if you are unhappy with the 5G service you can cancel the service without obligation provided you return the modem in good condition. There is a process for returning the modem using the email Consignment ID sent to you by Telstra once cancellation is confirmed. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/5g-home-support 

#  If I am not happy can I cancel my 5G Home Internet and go back to my previous plan

#  How do I return my 5G Mode

Mkrtich

PS:  Just realised something - Which modem do you have - the above conditions apply to the Arcadyan AW1000 5G Home Internet Fixed Modem. Telstra has three other 5G Mobile Broadband modems - HTC 5G Hub, ZTE 5G WiFi Pro and Netgear Nighthawk M5. The Mobile Broadband Critical Information Summary has cancellation conditions where you have to pay out the cost of the modem. 

Given you provided a clear background of your intended usage to the Telstra agent, warning bells should have sounded in the agent's mind when you mentioned your anticipated load and the security camera - it would not be able to be accessed externally from the Internet on a mobile network as 4G/5G networks use CGNAT which hides your modem's WAN IP address from public access.  If a payout condition applies, you may have a case of being mislead into buying the service and equipment. 

The CIS also provides you with an avenue of having this considered by way of an official complaint. 

Complaints

If there’s something you’re not happy with and you wish to make a complaint, visit telstra.com/complaints. We like to make every attempt to resolve any issue but you can contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman by phone on 1800 062 058 or visit tio.com.au/about-us/contact-us if you'd like an independent investigation.

ddmmmyyyy

Hi cf4, thanks for sharing your experience and reference to the contract. The customer mentioned to me that it must be "sealed" meaning "unopened" to be able to return. I have attached screenshots of chats for reference. The 2 telstra consultants replied with the same quote. I am very disappointed with their responses that why I raised this post.

ddmmmyyyy

Hi 

Jupiter

Given that you have a Netgear modem, it sounds that you are just on a Mobile Broadband Plan and not the 5G Home Internet. They are completely different products and the Mobile Broadband Plan would require you to pay out the cost of the modem (the 5G Home Internet - which uses the Acadyan AW1000 modem does not).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ddmmmyyyy

I have signed up for 5G home wireless broadband. The Netgear MR5100 (small black box) suppose to be for 5G. In any case, if Telstra misled me to sign up for inappropriate plan, I should have the right to cancel without penalty or paying for the modem as long as I return it in good working conditions. I believe we need to compliance with fair trade law. 

Jupiter

That modem is a 5G modem, but it's not used for the 5G Home Broadband Service.

What's the name of the plan in the welcome email that you should have been sent? It will also be in your account details.

Note: the other giveaway that you are not on the 5G Home Broadband service is that it comes with 500GB data allowance. See 5G Home Internet CIS 

You will need to lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints if you believe that they have signed you up to the wrong plan (the frontline consultants don't have the authority to fix it).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit