Mark2634
Level 2: Rookie

5G modem fault

I have a 5g home modem with wifi issues so have to use another old router for access. I have had the modem for 10 days and Telstra have stated to get a new modem I have to cancel my account and reapply. This means no internet access for 7 days or more. Is this policy correct.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 5G modem fault

That doesn't sound right. If the modem has faulty Wi-Fi it should be replaced under warranty without requiring you to cancel existing account and create a new one. What is wrong with the Wi-Fi? The Wi-Fi by default is set up to use Wi-Fi six. I found some of my old device would connect or connected at a very low speed and had to change the Wi-Fi settings of modem for them to connect and to have a reasonable speed.

Mark2634

The wifi 5ghz is great 2.4ghz won't connect and when it does it's 0.1mbs on 2 phones and 2 tablets.

cf4

Have you tried changing the 2.4 GHz Wireless mode from b/g/n/ax to g/n?

Mark2634

Yes and tried all other options Telstra tech mentioned.

Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

Have you tried choosing a specific 2.4GHz channel, rather than the default one?.

Mark2634

Yes. Used wifi scanner and chose an empty channel. No difference. Same result also standing next to modem.

Dowser

Considering that you have access to a WiFi scanner, what was the signal strength (of the 2.4GHz signal)?.

Mark2634

High when not dropping off but only 0.1mbs.

cf4

As you have tried everything the modem is faulty and should be replaced under warranty You should not have to cancel the service.

Dowser

I asked about signal strength not bandwidth.

I concur with the comment by @cf4 regarding warranty.

You can contact the 5G Home Internet team on 1800 258 503 (8am - 8pm AEST, 7 days a week for Support)

Mark2634

Thank you all. I have applied for a second service the same. I will see how it goes. I just don't have patience to keep chasing the  same thing over and over.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit