donnaling
Level 2: Rookie

5G modem

since installing new smart modem 5G my laptop wont connect cant even pick it up, but picks up old modem and neighbours wifi. 

my phone, smart tv, hubbys laptop are all connected to the new modem it seems my laptop and modem are not compatable or is it a config problem

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 5G modem

Would you please state the model number for the modem?. It could be written on the case or in the documentation.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It may be that your modem only operates on the 2.4GHz WiFi band.

To get it connected, you will need to log into your modem, go to the wifi settings and turn off Band Steering. This will make your mode broadcast separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks. You may also need to turn off PMF (Protected Management Frames) in order to get it to connect as some older devices do not support it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

@Jupiter it might be the laptop that has wi-fi adapter limitations?

I'm a bit confused by the "Smart Modem 5G"....

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

Yep. Brain running faster than the fingers.

I'm assuming that like a lot of people, it is just a little lack of knowledge that 5GHz WiFi and 5G aren't the same thing. Although they could have a 5G Home Broadband Modem and just assumed that it uses the "Smart Modem" branding.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
donnaling

well rude much stevo 52.

im a 58 year old restricted to homestay because of medical issues. as i stated my old 4G modem worked fine even when kids were using tabs and ipads. But no problem. i factory reset the 5G smart modem Gen 2 with voice Backup. so it states on the box. all connections are fine now. well i now understand why people said dont ask on the crowdsupport page!

donnaling

rude!!!!

donnaling

thank you.FOR asking i ended up factory resetting and now connecting fine

telstra smart moeem Gen 2 with voice backup

DJA0231

cheers

SteveW_52

You may say rude, but there is no such thing as 5G Smart Modem 2...  so asking for help with one, doesn't make sense..  and it definitely wouldn't say that on the box as the device name - I think you have misread and confused the 5g Wi-Fi capability

However, there is a 5g Mobile Broadband modem (but not called a Smart Modem)..  @Dowser did ask you to advise the actual make and model of that device..  knowing the correct make/model can allow us to provide you with better assistance..

The quality of assistance here is very dependent on the quality of the details you provide...  

But if you don't actually want help, that's fine....

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Grumpy!!! and not actually comprehending what I've said.

I wasn't having a go, I was just explaining to Steve what my assumption was of your problem based on the limited information that you gave (which could have meant a few things, but I went with the most likely).

5G is a mobile network technology type.

5GHz is a WiFi band type (which is one of the two frequency bands that a Telstra Smart Modem uses, the other being 2.4GHz).

There is a 5G mobile broadband modem that Telstra provides for some Home Broadband connections, but it not branded as a "Smart Modem"

When you said you had a 5G Smart Modem, it didn't really refer to one thing or another. There is no 5G Smart Modem as such. A lot of people get confused with the two (it is just an unfortunate naming convention that the people in charge of standards came up with), and I find it is better to try and help educate people on the differences so that if they do need to contact Telstra's consultants then they can communicate the problem more clearly.

Dowser

@donnaling wrote:

Thank you for asking. I ended up factory resetting and now connecting fine.

Telstra smart modem Gen 2 with voice backup

DJA0231

Thank you for clarifying the model details, and for letting us know that the connection issues have been resolved.

donnaling

i replied to ur comment on "YEP brain running faster than fingers"

and to stevo52 "probably too many devices and a tinkerer. "

why asume .? i only asked a question and gave the info i read off the box. 

donnaling

Stevo 52

i think that was uncalled for

SteveW_52

@donnaling 

You are reading stuff from MY signature block - it is about ME...

Stevo 52
donnaling

thankyou. i do the best i can 

donnaling

so now you might understand why my question was not correctly put as im not usually one to get o  these sorts if things as i find it confusing. oh never mind. have a nice day

Jupiter

@donnaling "Brain running faster than fingers" was a reference to me typing the word "modem" in my previous response, when I should have typed "laptop". You may also note that when I made that comment, I was responding to Steve and not you.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit