Extreame
Level 20: Director

A better way to test your connections MAX speed.

I see many posts out there that show lots of people using Java to test their connections speed.

Why is this not a good idea? Let me explain.

There are multiple reasons why - this is the case.

1) Browser restricted by how many files it can download:

When we download a file from any server, we are restricted by how many we can download at any given time.

2) Browser is restricted by how many concurrent connections (threads) per download:

Your browser can only download with so many connections per file, this is usually 4 per file.

If you use speedtest.net as an example here, when you take a speed test you will only use 4 concurrent download threads per test, that is 4 connections to the server (See example bellow):

Threads using speedtest

3) The time it takes to MAX your data connection:

When you start to download a file (or multiple files) it takes some time to get to your MAX speed, the average is usually about 30 seconds to saturate your connection with data (See example bellow):

So by the time a speedtest.net result has finished (about 4 to 10 seconds, on the download result), you have yet to saturate the connection, not having the ability to get an accurate result.

So how do we get past this and show our MAX connection speed?

1) We need to increase the concurrent connections using a good download manager (jDownloader).

2) Download multiple large files from a reliable server, such as Rapidshare, Microsoft, Apple, AARNet Mirror.

3) Use a visual application to view your MAX connection speed (DU Meter).

Results*:

*Simple local speedtest result.....

*Using a good downloader (jDownloader with 20 concurrent connections per file) and visual application (DU Meter).........

I think the results speak for themselves here, don't you think?

The best speed I have achieved using this method is around 36Mbits on my Elite Cable connection in Adelaide. (MAX theroretical Annex speed of 37Mbits without overheads).

*Results taken in peek (10AM)

Your thoughts?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: A better way to test your connections MAX speed.

@Extreame wrote:

Your thoughts?

Two thoughts here. Nice simple fixes that allows you to increase the concurrent sessions for the web browsers.

In Firefox type about:config and press enter, then search for network.http.max-connections-per-server then type in your value. I believe for Firefox the default is 15.

For Internet Explorer you will need to delve into the registry (I can't be held responsible if you break it). You then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings then create 2 new DWORD values like the following.

Value name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
Value data: 15
Base: Decimal

Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer
Value data: 15
Base: Decimal

That will enable Internet Explorer  have 15 concurrent connections just like Firefox.

Extreame

Nice work.

Thanks for adding to this thread. Smiley Wink

Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@Extreame wrote:

Thanks for adding to this thread. Smiley Wink

No worries mate, that's what we're all here for, right? Smiley Wink

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Juzman wrote:

No worries mate, that's what we're all here for, right? Smiley Wink

Exactly, kudos all round!

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Parash
Level 8: Inspector

Hi,

I tried it out and it works great, thanks.

Soren

-- Parash
Opinions expressed are mine alone.
Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective

I just got 43.93 via speed test so should i try and see what the real speed is ? lol

http://speedtest.net/result/1415220463.png

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!
Extreame

Isnt that why this is here?

I bet you could smash that result with the above test.

Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective

Someone link me a file higher then 150MB. As it downloaded too fast and i only got to 61.5 Smiley Sad

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!
Extreame

Anything at AARNet Mirror will be fine, there are many large linux distro's.

Try 4 or 5 large files (1GB or higher in size is best)

Plus it is free to use for any Bigpond customer.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Hi Extreame,

I have nominated this post to be added to our Community Knowledgebase so hopefully your work will be posted more prominently for others to read and to take guidance on.

Please also enjoy a Free Kudos!

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

HairyDrumroll
Level 4: Private Eye

I ended up with a browser hijack from one of those two programs, either DU Meter or jDownloader. DU Meter methinks. Thanks for that -NOT-, still trying to clean it off.

AussieCable
Level 3: Gumshoe

Usually when people complain about getting browser hijacks, or other software installed when installing software that is known to contain adware offers, is usually due to just blindly clicking ok, or apply when installing the software.

In future, read and decline the adware or download the ad free installer by searching the jDownloader forum. For instance: https://board.jdownloader.org/showpost.php?p=263754&postcount=6

While these installers can be annoying for many users, it is up to the user to decline and not complain on Crowdsupport about something they blindly accepted while installing.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit