add1n1
Level 3: Gumshoe

AARNET Mirror not unmetered anymore?

The mirror.aarnet.edu.au site used to be unmetered [since the bigpond file mirror was axed]. but know i have noticed that the aarnet site now counts towards my usage.

It seems it has started doing so in the middle of last month.

aarnet is listed on the unmetered list:

https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17085/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzMxMTk2MDIwL3NpZ...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: AARNET Mirror not unmetered anymore?

I used http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/ on Wednesday, 8 March to download all the Cygwin installation packages (using the Cygwin setup utility and not a web browser), and the 3GB is showing up in My Daily History as unmetered.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Exactly what files are you downloading from AARNET and how are you downloading them?

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

add1n1
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Ben_F wrote:

Exactly what files are you downloading from AARNET and how are you downloading them?

Ubuntu/Fedora ISOs and updates. Straight through firefox for the isos and the machines are set for the aarnet as the update respository. I have not changed anything. I am not using the torrrent links.

actually, i'm not getting any unmetered qutoa at all. I dont even have a 1MB for the amount of times i've opened the bigpond page.

Screenshot at 2012-03-09 07_14_57.png

I clearly have a history of using a decent amount of umetered content. How can i suddenly go to absolutely nothing?

Capture.PNG

gwmbox
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Is there any details on this, as in is it still unmetered or not. I ask as I have also experienced what I thought as being unmetered as being metered via the aarnet mirror.

GW
Roll on the NBN!
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As long as the downloads are done directly from the AARNet site over HTTP and not using their FTP service then it is unmetered content.

If you suspect that some unmetered usage is not being attributed correctly then I would suggest contacting Technical Support.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit