Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Abysmal Cable Service Quality

I have had Optus Cable for 10 years and can count the outages that impacted me on one hand.

I am now on the NBN HFC Cable with Telstra.    No wonder the modem comes with a fallback Mobile based connection.   I can't get my head around how often the connection falls back to the mobile connection and Telstra tells me this is normal.   I've had a consultant tell me it is acceptable to have up to four connection drop outs per day.   

In six months I've had a modem replaced which was faulty and had an attenuator on the pole replaced which was also faulty.   Both of these took hours of interaction with Telstra to get them to do anything.     I'm thinking it is because the underlying NBN service availability is so poor, Telstra have difficulty taking a problem report seriously.

So, before I jump to another provider, is my suspicion of NBN being the problem likely and I would see the same poor quality of service with any retailer?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Abysmal Cable Service Quality

Anything other than the faulty modem (the Telstra one, not the NBN that it connects to) is an NBN fault and would happen no matter which provider you are with.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra supply the router, but the modem is NBN's.

Aside from the poor NBN availability, the issue for me is Telstra processes resulting in consultants being unwilling to triage any fault through to NBN unless the customer spends many many hours on chat and phone along with each call regarding the same issue being treated like a new report.

I'm a security architect working with a multinational network equipment and service provider and understand the technology. I have to follow non relevant procedures that will not help diagnose the fault being experienced. Only with absolute instance on my side and too many wasted hours have i been able to get the faults escalated through to NBN which were both validated by NBN findings.

Can anyone recommend a service provider that provides better support for technical problems?

Highlighted

They all follow the same NBN Co mandated troubleshooting procedure. NBN Co refuse to send a technician out if it's not done.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

It's the nbn. It's junk. The system is patched together junk. Telstra could put it's foot down and make nbn co look worse than it is currently portrayed but telstra is either gutless or gets too many kickbacks. 

The third world has better internet than us.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit