Markinoz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Access Denied You don't have permission to access [website

Answered

Hi

I have recently been getting the following message:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.jbhifi.com.au/" on this server.

Reference #18.36a37468.1505178978.1bf55c9c

This occurs on multiple websites (jbhifi.com.au, qantas.com.au, bigw.com.au etc etc)

From what I can work out it appears that some Telstra IP's are being blocked by Akami?

I haven't had any luck with the Telstra support. They asked me to turn my modem off to pickup a new IP number (which I did for 8 hours) but after the DHCP lease was supposed to expire I received the same IP number.

Their "solution" was to send me a new modem... this worked for about 4 days and I'm now getting the same access denied message (after these sites started working again with the new modem)

I just spoke to your ever helpless support again, who basically blamed my browser - even though it occurs on all browsers on multiple computers (desktop and laptop) and then proceeded to blame my "proxy address" (which I don't have)

Absolutely fed up with not getting a suitable response to what appears to be a network issue.

Have changed DNS to google servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) as some people have had success with this but it hasnt helped but I may restart my PC to see if it helps.

Any help would be appreciated

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markinoz
Accepted Solution

Re: Access Denied You don't have permission to access [website

If anyone else has this problem (and Telstra support cant or wont help you) follow the instructions in the post below to force the modem to grab a new dynamic IP number

all sites previously not working now work,,

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/IP-address-will-not-change-and-has-not-for-8-m...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Markinoz

After some more testing it appears to not be Akami but the Barracuda Reputation Block List 

Barracuda Reputation Block List
b.barracudacentral.org Yes

Barracuda Reputation Block List (for SpamAssassin)
bb.barracudacentral.org Yes

TXT Record: Client host blocked using Barracuda Reputation

so it appears BigPond are giving out IP numbers that are blocked for spamming.. and then trying to blame the end user...

Markinoz

And it keeps getting better

Alert: Your IP is part of a network listed as a Worst Offender

This is a Worst Offender Alert
 and this means that not only this IP address, but the whole class 'C' is also on the indicated SpamRats List. Usually this means the whole range has the same issue of naming conventions or no reverse DNS AND that many IP's from this Class C have been used in Spam Attacks, Dictionary attacks or other forms of attacks, as detected by Mail Servers in the Data Collection Grid. You will NOT be able to use the removal form to remove your IP Addresses. If you have recently been assigned the IP Addresses, or have changed what these IP Addresses are used for, you can use the contact form and ask for a reclassification, but you will have to provide full disclosure, including whois for the ip addresses, your affiliation with the company that owns them, and a description of what the IP's were previously used for, and what they will be used for, in order for a Spam Auditor to consider reclassification. Remember, the majority of the IP's in this space WERE detected as being involved in some form of attack or abusive behaviour, so you had better have a good reason to ask for removal, and you need to own or control the IP addresses, as evidenced by ARIN whois.

Does IP Address comply with reverse hostname naming convention... Failed!

But remember kids.. according to Telstra Support its my fault that I'm having this issue.. Its my "browser"..

Blacklist: You are on 4 blacklists:

Spamhaus ZEN RATS Dyna BARRACUDA DNS ERVICIOS

Rashid_Kotwal
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the same issue.

The IP is NOT showing up on the Barracuda Reputation Block List

It did show up in https://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=101.164.128.51

But they've subsequently cleared it. 

Telstra is sending me a new modem!  Somehow don't think this is going to solve the issue.  The IP range seems to be blocked somewhere.

The only interium solution is to use a VPN - but that's ridiculous as a long term one.

Rashid.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rashid,

While you might have a similar experience, it could have a different cause. Have you tried the same troubleshooting as MarkinOz did, such as changing the DNS to Google to see if the issue continues?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Markinoz
Accepted Solution

If anyone else has this problem (and Telstra support cant or wont help you) follow the instructions in the post below to force the modem to grab a new dynamic IP number

all sites previously not working now work,,

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/IP-address-will-not-change-and-has-not-for-8-m...

View solution in original post

Markinoz

Hi

My "solution" worked for two days.. modem reset itself and has picked up ANOTHER blocked IP number (a different one this time)

get your sh1t together Telstra this is ridiculous!

Markinoz

Hi

My modem has reset itself today and I am AGAIN being blocked from websites (Ebay, JB HIFI, Qantas etc etc)

When are Telstra going to resolve this problem? sending new modems to people is NOT a solution!!!

Rashid_Kotwal

Yes I did.  Makes no difference.

The only way around this is using a VPN.

Telstra first level support have NO clue.  2nd level support have been just as useless.  Their solution was to send a different modem - but even that they stuffed up - sending me an older model.

I did get a response from mailchimp support - Akamai which according to them routes about 20% of worldwide traffic is blocking this range of IP addresses. Until someone in Telstra gets off their backside, works out why and then gets the blocks removed, nothing will change.

Rashid.

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the IP that you are connected on continuously is getting blacklisted even after getting a new one after a short time then it would be suggested to confirm with security programs then delist on the blocklist. For example, the IP listed earlier is still listed under Spamhaus ZEN.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rashid_Kotwal

Well I've started the "automatic" removal from Spamhaus - let's see what happens.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit