bfarrugia17
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL 2+ Dropouts

Answered
Well despite calling telstra support a total of 9 times, 3 technicians being sent to home and telling me our connection is normal and functional.. I've come to crowdsupport in hope that maybe another telstra user may be able to assist. Not very happy with your service telstra.

So the problem, our household internet connection has been experiencing dropouts for about 4-5 months now. We are still on the old copper ADSL 2+ as the NBN hasn't even been considered in my area. Some days the connection will barely cut out, where some days it happens in 5 minute durations throughout the day. I have applied every type of noise profile available to the line which proved to make no improvement. All connections have been triple checked, filters connected to all phones.. For some reason Telstra's technicians can't even find a solution. So my question, has any tesltra customer experience problems such as mine? If so if you could please post your solutions to the problem, that would be greatly appreciated as nowadays having a constant connection is a necessity. Any responses are greatly appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bfarrugia17
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL 2+ Dropouts

Just a quick update on my case, i have actually managed to stop the dropouts using my powerboard? Sounds really weird but had it connected for about 5 hours now and not one dropout has occured. I'll post the solution on this comment in case there are any other Teltra users out there experiencing same problems, just give it a go and see if it will work, worked great for me.

So all i had to do is connect a DSL cable from my wall socket to my powerboard input (powerboard model is Jackson PT0888, not sure if it will work with other powerboard models but definately works with my one) which has an input and output for my DSL line, and from the output of my powerboard i connected that to a DSL filter ( Filter model is C10245M) and from there it goes straight to my modem and home phone.

A rather weird solution, not quite sure how a powerboard interacts with the DSL line but surely made it more stable, hope this helps anyone having the same issue, Good Luck!!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

The first thing you want to do is a complete isolation test. Instructions found at http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...
This helps rule out common causes. Also ensure that the modem is plugged into the 'first' socket in the house, and the computer is connected via Ethernet to the modem.

When you say 'all phones', how many handsets and sockets do you have in the house?

Have you tried another modem to help rule out a potentially faulty modem?

Are you able to post your modem stats?
This is Sync speed, attenuation, SnR.

Is there any noise/static on the voice component of the line?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
bfarrugia17

Hi Kalak, and thankyou for your reply.

So i have performed an isolation test, but no success was achieved doing this, still experiencing the same dropout issue.

Throughout the entire house there are 4 main DSL sockets, 2 in which are active therefore only leaving 2 active sockets. One is linked to a landline phone, and the other is connected to my Modem.

I previously had issue with the dropouts with my previous router, which was the Thomson TG782t, but after conatcting Telstra they for some reason sent out a new modem. So currently i am using the Technicolour TG797n. i have swapped modems but both have experienced the same dropout issue.

So i did have a look at my modem logs, and found some strange logs as the dropout occured. Not sure what it means but maybe you might know:

PPP link down (PPPoEDSL)

PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost nkkg-kent (PPPoEDSL)

(PPP CHAP Receive success (PPPoEDSL)) (PPP link up (PPPoEDSL)

xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 6826 kbit/s, upstream: 881 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.4 dBm, Up: 12.3 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 46.5 dB, Up: 29.2 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 6.1 dB)

xDSL linestate down

I have a clear crisp dial tone when i listen to the landline phone, so i doubt the issue is line related. 

Also to add, i do live fairly countryside, NBN development within 3 Kilometres of my property however the exchange is roughly a Kilometre away, and a tesltra technician stated to me that we are a fair distance away from the exchange.

Thankyou again for responding Kalak, it is greatly appreicted as this has spanned far longer than it should have, very frustrating when i have a son commencing stage 6 and requires internet to study. 😞

bfarrugia17

Just had another dropout with different logs this time, thought i should add them:

SNTP Systemtime update: time setting 10:02:03 > new time setting: 01:17:23

SNTP Synchronised to server:

[ANTI_SPOOFD] (err) llist_getobject_at for ENV.ANTI_SPOOFD's value failed

kdbfs: initializing thread 2346

[CWMP] waiting 12 seconds for random boot delay

CONFIGURATION saved by TR69

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

The first thing I would look at is a central splitter. This is recommended for any property which has 3 or more sockets. Even though only 2 are actively in use at a time, it's still something I would look into. Once you go above 2 sockets inline filters just don't seem to cut it.

The fact you've had two modems with the same issue means it reasonable to rule out a faulty modem on your end that might be the cause. It's great you've had 2 modems to try.

Looking at your modem stats there is nothing that stands out as out of the ordinary. DSL connection are allowed up to 56db attenutation, so 46.5 is reasonable and you are getting a perfect sync speed based on this. The SnR of 6.1 is fine. ADSL2+ tries to get the best speed it can while staying as close to 6.0 SnR.

Combine the above with the fact you can't hear any noise/static on the line that suggests to me there isn't an obvious line fault in play either.

So I would try is installing the central splitter (and getting your internal wiring looked at while the sparky is there). If the issue continues after that then I would lodge an official complaint and request the issue be escalated to a higher level tech (above phone tech support). You will have then done everything reasonable on your end to solve the issue.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
bfarrugia17
Accepted Solution

Just a quick update on my case, i have actually managed to stop the dropouts using my powerboard? Sounds really weird but had it connected for about 5 hours now and not one dropout has occured. I'll post the solution on this comment in case there are any other Teltra users out there experiencing same problems, just give it a go and see if it will work, worked great for me.

So all i had to do is connect a DSL cable from my wall socket to my powerboard input (powerboard model is Jackson PT0888, not sure if it will work with other powerboard models but definately works with my one) which has an input and output for my DSL line, and from the output of my powerboard i connected that to a DSL filter ( Filter model is C10245M) and from there it goes straight to my modem and home phone.

A rather weird solution, not quite sure how a powerboard interacts with the DSL line but surely made it more stable, hope this helps anyone having the same issue, Good Luck!!

View solution in original post

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey bfarrugia17,

Thanks for the update on how you have been able to resolve this issue recently 🙂

Now that we have this posted it will be on option for customers with similar issues to try as well 🙂

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

EPL
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same problem. Tried using the ADSL Broadband Manager...I got this:

System Error please try again later

Sorry, but I cant assist you only to say having worked on the 'DSL" implementation team back in 1997/8 we told Telecom Aust/ Telstra NOT to implement this 'Technology'. Copper wire does not hold data and never will.
The web structure Telstra uses is WEB based meaning thier wown web 'help' pages crash frequently as you know.

Sorry, for your ADSL or as we called it in St KIlda Rd, "Dropout System Line" the only way you will get a 'Broadband; delivered connection is through a 'dedicated' defined BROADBAND cable that carries nothing except DATA. You have to be only 80 meters from your old fashioned exchange to achieve 15 - 18 MegaBytes per second and then you are subject to VOIP over the copper wire (It is pronounced as in BITES and NOT BITs as Malcolm seems to tell you all, sorry)
True Broadband kicks in at 25megabytes per second with an upload of 2.75 to 4.2 megaBytes per second. Anything under that value is designated as 'Dial Up' PSTN or FNN delivered VOIP/Data. Dedicated BROADBAND will NOT be delivered in my area until 2019, February unless you have built a new home in a new designated estate. NBN Co are 2.5 yrs behind schedule and approx up to $1.2 Bil in debt. Go figure. How do I know this.......'FOI'. And as I said I worked on the Y2K team and the 'DSL team back in 1998. (I have ALL my documents to prove it, it was a disaster then and even more so NOW!   Good luck with the Telstra HO in Manila that's if you can get through.
DAN_EVO

I am having the exact same issue; sadly I do not have a spare powerboard with the required socket.

Out of interest what modem do you have?

I have a Technicolor TG587n v3 and this issue started about 2 weeks ago. I also noticed the firmware has been updated by Telstra which makes me think it could be related.

Nadnerb

For months my ADSL connection has been getting slower and dropping out more and more. I complained to my carrier, but no one seemed to be able to fix the issue. Finally, someone I knew suggested the following...

Get an AM radio... tune it to the lowest frequency... put it close to the power adapters in your house, starting with those closest to your ADSL line and modem... unplug each adapter, one at a time, and listen to see if the interference heard on the radio reduces noticeably.

I did this and found that I had one adapter (which was actually warm to touch) that caused the interference to drop when I unplugged it. I then checked my ADSL speed and found that I had gained about 4 Mbps and I haven't had a drop out since.

Apparently, faulty power adapters can emit radio waves that are at just the right frequency to interfere with ADSL connections. Other things like small fluorescent lights, electric motors and other electrical devices can also affect ADSL in a similar way.

So, if you are having problems with your ADSL, grab an AM radio and do this test; you may save yourself a lot of time and inconvenience!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit