Pepefrog
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL 2+ Dropouts

Answered

So on the past few days my ADSL line was dropping out constantly and the Download/Upload rate during showtime was being shaky as well.

Link Retrain Count was 13 for current day.

Attached some of the errors in image form I've encountered as well.

I think there is something wrong with the line from the pole to my house since it's happened a lot before as well, every time a technician came it fixes the problem temporarily but not permanently.

I've noticed that when my line drops out the noise margin becomes negative.

Thanks for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL 2+ Dropouts

Maybe due to the NBN work or weather or dodgy copper cables, this can happen. Now Telstra has a threshold for number of dropouts in a day. So unless this happens a lot, they may not oblige.

If the ECO and internet lights are red, and it isn't a bridged modem, it indicates some sort of line fault.

When I first got ADSL, it took six tech callouts to finally fix the issue. They shuffled ports around and I ended up with 2 phone lines listed on my account, though only charged for one. Getting a tech to visit via call centre or in any way doing anything to help me, made the labours of Hercules seem like a kindergarten game.

[I suspect though I got stuck on the same person every time I called. She was unfailingly obstructive and obnoxious and well, just plain stupid. I believe however Telstra may have fixed an issue with the system the call centre was using. They were looking at a different SUBURB but with the same postcode, not the same street though. She kept insisting my line was fine. But this woman would not budge despite the evidence ie red lights. If she worked for me her feet would not touch the ground as I booted her out the door].

Sorry for rant, but don't expect too much from the Phillipines call centre if you try to get help. Try the Indian one, but you have to phone fairly early int the morning.

On the plus side, the NBN crew checked the cables in the pit on the nature strip when they started the NBN rollout here. But then NBN stopped then restarted again in the last week. So if you get NBN things MAY improve.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Maybe due to the NBN work or weather or dodgy copper cables, this can happen. Now Telstra has a threshold for number of dropouts in a day. So unless this happens a lot, they may not oblige.

If the ECO and internet lights are red, and it isn't a bridged modem, it indicates some sort of line fault.

When I first got ADSL, it took six tech callouts to finally fix the issue. They shuffled ports around and I ended up with 2 phone lines listed on my account, though only charged for one. Getting a tech to visit via call centre or in any way doing anything to help me, made the labours of Hercules seem like a kindergarten game.

[I suspect though I got stuck on the same person every time I called. She was unfailingly obstructive and obnoxious and well, just plain stupid. I believe however Telstra may have fixed an issue with the system the call centre was using. They were looking at a different SUBURB but with the same postcode, not the same street though. She kept insisting my line was fine. But this woman would not budge despite the evidence ie red lights. If she worked for me her feet would not touch the ground as I booted her out the door].

Sorry for rant, but don't expect too much from the Phillipines call centre if you try to get help. Try the Indian one, but you have to phone fairly early int the morning.

On the plus side, the NBN crew checked the cables in the pit on the nature strip when they started the NBN rollout here. But then NBN stopped then restarted again in the last week. So if you get NBN things MAY improve.

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The DSL stats seem to indicate a problem at the remote end (Exchange)

Most of the errors and all the LOS, LOF and LOM are occurring at the remote end.

It could be a loose termination in the exchange.

Does the SNR go negative in both directions?

Pepefrog
Level 1: Cadet

Yeah, one of the technician came today and said it's going to be NBN ready soon, I've seen Telstra trucks coming over for the past few weeks digging wires and stuff, let's hope for the best, it's so hard to get a technician since they will just kept on asking us to wait because of "investigation" while doing nothing, well, this is kinda bs.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit