adammercuri
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL 2+ RIDICULOUSLY SLOW IN BURNIE!

I'm hoping the Telstra staff that patrol (or troll) these boards can offer a solution.  Before I go to the TIO.

I have recently moved from Melbourne to Burnie and after discovering that Telstra are the only supplier of ADSL 2+ had no choice but to bundle a service with them.

However, the speeds are ATROCIOUS!  I am consistently getting less than 2MBPS max line speed and less than 300KBPS download speeds.  Which is less than is advertised for standard ADSL.  I am only 1.9kms from the exchange (cable length, not line of sight) and am extremely unimpressed by this performance.  Coupled with that are the regular drop outs (at least 3 times a day) for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I hope there is some good explantions or a fix out there otherwise I'm s&^t canning this useless internet connection and using my iPhone as a wireless tether from now on.  At least it gets over 8MBPS and thats on Vodafone's 3G network.

For shame Telstra

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
adammercuri

Re: ADSL 2+ RIDICULOUSLY SLOW IN BURNIE!

And lets not forget that one of the ADSL splitters didn't work.  And the T-Box that was to come with the bundle hasn't arrived still.

adammercuri

Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman

At that distance, you should be getting better speeds,  but what is the quality of the lines?

I expect with the dropouts you mention the actual copper connection you may be on may be degraded.

If you are certain it's not your equipment, ask for a linesman to check it out.

They usually are "allocated" to your local region, and they probably have a pretty good idea of what the maintainence conditions are.

Also, it helps if you can see youe FEC and HEC stats on your modem are.  Thse give an indication of the state of the line, and it helps your argument if they are high.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

I'm not a Telstra rep, but I'll do my best to patrol (or troll).

Can you please provide the modem speeds? Can you confirm if there are any issues with the telephone (Buzzing, cracking, static or hissing) and can you try ONLY the modem with a short cable (in all of the sockets individually) and see if the Modem speed rates change?

Does the speed get better or worse during off peak periods?

The minimum specification for a Telstra service is a Modem Sync rate of 1536/256kbps and a Download rate of 110kB/sec (from a Telstra download site).

About 70% of customers on the 8Mbps plan can access speeds around 6Mbps or more. About 50% of customers on the 20Mbps plan can access speeds around 10Mbps or more.  Average speeds will be lower and actual speeds vary due to a number of factors including network configuration, line quality and length, your exchange, your location, internet traffic, your equipment and software.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

adammercuri

I wouldn't even know how to give you the modem speeds.   All I know is the speed im getting off speedtest.net http://www.speedtest.net/result/1893615434.png

And I know how piss poor it is loading web pages and emails.

adammercuri

How do I get those stats?
Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman

What kind of modem do you have?

if it's a  Technicolour Gatway fro Telstra, for instance, go to your DSL connection details.

Most other modems will have that information in the DSL connection details page, or at least on the Internet connection details page.

The DSL connection information will also give you the speed connection from the modems point of view.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@adammercuri wrote:

I wouldn't even know how to give you the modem speeds.   All I know is the speed im getting off speedtest.net http://www.speedtest.net/result/1893615434.png

And I know how piss poor it is loading web pages and emails.

Can you try some of the other suggestions I have mentioned and see if this improves the speed. Doing this will reduce the likelyhood of you being charged a fee if the fault is outside the Telstra Network.

The speed you are getting shouldn't impact on general browsing however, what sites are running slow for you?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit