Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL 2+ service

So, if I understand correctly, the only internet package options available are for an nbn 25 or an nbn 50 package ($75 & $90 pcm respectively) for a customer on ADSL 2+ at less than 10 Mbps. Surely this is covered by consumer legislation that you're being asked to pay for something that you cannot, and most likely never will, get?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: ADSL 2+ service

Hi SiwssDoc,

Can you clarify, are you concerned about the service you are receiving via your ADSL2+ connection or not being able to migrate to a different service than NBN?

You will find the available internet options for your address here https://tel.st/qn7tb by clicking on the 'Check your address' button.

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Please read my original post again.

There are now only two packages available form Telstra - an nbn 25 and an nbn 50 package,  I note that they also stae that they "work with ADSL".  However, the FACT is that even the slowest of these two nbn packages is at least 2.5 times faster than my ADSL 2+ connection.  So, I am being asked to pay for a service which I cannot get - this cannot be legal.

Note that nbn has been "promised" at my address so many times that it's now laughable and obvious that it will never happen despite the repeated claims.

I am well aware of the available internet connections available  - just the one connection - ADSL 2+ and just the two packages descrobed above.

Why should I pay for nbn speed when it cannot be delivered?  Simple question! 

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

@SwissDoc wrote:

So, if I understand correctly, the only internet package options available are for an nbn 25 or an nbn 50 package ($75 & $90 pcm respectively) for a customer on ADSL 2+ at less than 10 Mbps. Surely this is covered by consumer legislation that you're being asked to pay for something that you cannot, and most likely never will, get?

@SwissDoc Part of the problem with ADSL is it has to have a phone, so you have the added cost of that. Unless you can get a naked service if another ISP that has a DSLAM in the exchange (Which are far and few between).

The Telstra CEO decided that Telstra was offering too many different plans across its platforms, so has had them reduced from 2000+ (from memory?) to 20. A way, in is mind, to cause less confusion to customers, and staff, when you call up with an issue. Or a new service.

Unfortunately, it does cause customers on the old broadband service to have less offerings IMHO.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

That is referring to the plans being compatible with ADSL. However while you are connected to ADSL, speeds achieved will be restricted by that technology.

This is mentioned in the Critical Information Summary https://tel.st/pxjaz

Broadband speeds vary due to a number of factors, including:

• Type of technology available at your address
  • Any Speed Boost you may have purchased
  • Network capacity
  • Set up at your home (such as location of your modem and how the internet is used in your home)
  • Whether your device is connected by Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet cable
  • The number of users online, including if a Telstra Air member is visiting your homespot

I can appreciate the frustration and disappointment not yet being able to connect to NBN. Have you checked the NBN Co website https://tel.st/sskmq to see when the planned roll out is for your address?

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Broadband speeds vary due to a number of factors, including:

• Type of technology available at your address - ADSL 2+ SLOW
  • Any Speed Boost you may have purchased - N/A
  • Network capacity - may be the problem but, if so, it's not my problem
  • Set up at your home (such as location of your modem and how the internet is used in your home) - irrelevant
  • Whether your device is connected by Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet cable - also irrelevant - WiFi connections are typically an order of magnitude (or more) than the broadband speed
  • The number of users online, including if a Telstra Air member is visiting your homespot Irrelevant - Telstra Air is deactivated, speed measurements performed with just one device connected

(I guess that I wrote my first computer program before any / all of the commenters were born (1969), was networking computers in 1986 and was sending email in 1988 (JANET), was running a home WiFi network in 1996.  There's a reasonable chance that I may actually understand all this!)

Highlighted

@SwissDoc Replies can't take into account a persons knowledge without actually knowing the person first. So answers are first based on that notion.

And without going into any details, your "guess" would be wrong on so many levels.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The speed is actually secondary. You are sold either a 200GB or Unlimited monthly data allowance. The lowest maximum speed for the 200GB plan is 25GB (so you are less likely to burn through it too quickly).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 11: Detective
Level 11: Detective

Short answer to your question of "why should I pay for NBN speeds when it cannot be delivered?" is that your not paying for it at all.

If a customer is on ADSL 2+ they will receive anywhere up to 24mbps (although much likely less than half that)

if a customer is on NBN, they will receive either a Standard Speed tier or a Standard Plus Speed tier, which are terms defined by NBN, not Telstra.

Highlighted

Fair comment - except that I fear you missed the point.  There is no price differential between the slow-speed ADSL service and the high-speed (allegedly) nbn service packages supplied by Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Going on your argument a person in a remote location should pay less for there NBN satellite connection than a person in the city with a fast 100 Mbps FTTP connection in the city. The price is based on how much it costs the ISP to deliver the service.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

SwissDoc - people migrating from ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ are migrated to NBN via the Laws of Relativity, Geography and Timing - it can be HFC Coax, FTTN, FTTC, FTTB, FTTP and Fixed Wireless.

If I have understood you correctly, assuming you are in a deemed 'last leg' telephone cabling location, you have indicated your current subscribed ADSL2+ service, which you are paying for, and accept that it is capable of nominally operating at 24 Mbps at the exchange, but when connected to your home, it can only operate there at under 10 Mbps. Cable run imperfections aside, this would generally indicate that you may be on an approximate 3 Km or more cable distance from your local exchange.

FTTN brings your 'last leg' cable distance closer, from your neighbourhood's nearest Street Node up to a maximum cable run of 1.2 Km - at that maximum distance it would struggle to meet its rated nominal speeds; there are maps on the internet that show you NBN distribution areas that will assist you to locate the nodes so that you can determine your distance. In recent years, for some customers who fall under a special deemed area, this has been minimised to under an average of 30-50 metres using FTTC technology. These technologies essentially allow both FTTN and FTTC customers to enjoy near to nominal NBN speeds subject to their location from the Node (FTTN) or their Footpath Conversion Units (FTTC) - no different in concept from ADSL days when distance from the exchange determined you individual connection speed, just better speeds with VDSL. So in general, one would expect the majority of ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ customers to be better off under NBN. Any commercial comparison needs to be take into account the two components, Internet and Telephone Service Rentals charges. 

I know two people who, due to their distance from their exchange, were migrated from ADSL (1 Mbps - 7 Kms from exchange) and ADSL 2/2+ (6 Mbps - 3 Kms from exchange) to NBN both on HFC as NBN deemed it was appropriate for their respective suburbs - they are very happy now, one subscribed at NBN25 and the other at NBN50.

Have you been officially advised that you are stuck on ADSL2+ and won't technically be upgraded to the NBN but expected to pay for the NBN25 or have you mapped out your Node location and are concerned you are at the 1.2 km mark? I understand that, where feasible and in time, that NBN are keen to explore deploying FTTC in areas where FTTN was originally planned or installed with issues as a means of improving matters for customers. 

Highlighted

That's like saying "Pay for a Ferrari and we'll give you a Mini".  Consumers should be paying for what they actually get.  You don't go into a supermarket and buy one bottle of milk when you wanted two and yet still pay for two!

The service to the consumer is what they actually get - not some imaginary promise based on something that happens kilometres away!

Highlighted

Thank you, I do understand your reply.  Telstra have written to me on four occasions over the last two-plus years to tell me nbn is available and then it isn't.  The latest letter says availability last June but the nbn website says December - I just don't believe anything that anyone says about nbn delivery and service speeds anymore.

Highlighted

Yes, my NBN availability has also been postponed a few times from March 2019 to February 2020 and I am OK with that as I have good broadband connectivity now and hopefully many of the technical issues with Network upgrades, stability and carrier supplied Gateways will be resolved or more mature by then. Given the sheer size and complexity of the NBN project, it is amazing to see how well NBN has coped with the budget and technical constraints imposed upon them by the Government. Being an avid reader of this forum, I acknowledge the implementation and inter communication between NBN/RSPs/RSP Call Centres has not been without technical hiccups and incompetence at times.

The NBN weekly real time Network Progress Report which shows the progress of construction is pretty impressive. To date there are near to 5.8 million live NBN services activated with another 4.2 million in the Ready to Connect category and all this is targeted for completion by the end of 2020. Merely speculation, one could suspect that a stampede of connections will occur in the time left, however, I suspect the areas that NBN has concentrated on to date may be the more challenging ones, leaving the less difficult ones to last - hopefully for all of us in the waiting queue!  I have seen some 2019 statistics that break up the Multi platform mix but can't locate the source at the moment - the build is scheduled to finish with 11.7 million connections, the majority of these being 4.7 M with FTTN and 1.4 M with FTTC.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/about-nbn-co/corporate-plan/weekly-progress-report

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi SwissDoc

I am in the exactly the same predicament as you. Moved into a rental at the end of June. Went into a Telstra store and signed up to the nbn(the area is nbn covered)

Was told my house wasn’t connected and all I could get was adsl2+ was quoted speeds between 9-12mbs(I am lucky to get 3mbs)

was told I would have to organise with the nbn co to get my house connected.(It’s the telcos responsibility) NbN co connected my house 4/7/19 and I have been waiting for Telstra to connect me to NBN since then.

I am like you when I the consumer is being charged for NBN prices (one of the most expensive in the market) for an inferior service.

??????

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dracos760, 

Thanks for contacting us and sorry to hear of the delays with connecting your NBN. If this is shown as available at your home here: https://tel.st/tpyl4 we will place an order and have a tech visit to set up the service.

Has a tech been arranged to connect your home? 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Tuesday is the day for connection 7 weeks 

since applying for a connection to the NBN

8 weeks since getting internet service with telstra

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Sorry for the long delays Dracos760 and please let us know how the appointment goes on Tuesday. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit