james_cain
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL 2 slow at BWKS exchange

Some time back a Telstra tech worked on our lines and ADSL setup and improved the connection speed and reliability greatly. Over the last few weeks we have found that although the sync speed is still around 13Mbps our thoughput and ping are now total rubbish. Throughput struggles to reach 3Mbps and Ping to www.bigpond.com can vary from as low as 25ms to 700ms in any given session.
Tonight I ran tracert to www.bigpond.com and got the following results:

17-09-2015 - 10.38pm.JPG

As you can see, the first two hops seem ok, then the ping goes really bad and stays bad for the rest of the hops. We notice in games that ping goes from around 50ms to over 700ms almost constantly which makes most games unplayable. We also notice that our Foxtel on T-Box and Presto services are constantly buffering as well, at times they are unwatchable.

Can someone look into this and provide a solution, I was waiting on support chat but the wait times are ridiculous and the help is usually not great anyway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: ADSL 2 slow at BWKS exchange

Hi James_Cain

I'll be flagging your post with our Social Media Tech team so that they can make contact with you later today to investigate this further and work with you to a resolution. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

gibbsy81
Level 5: Eagle Eye

All support will tell you is latency doesn't matter.
Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey James_Cain,

Unfortunately as gibbsy81 has said, we don't usually troubleshoot latency, as those ping tests are considered 'low priority' by the network so the results aren't always reliable. If your service is still a bit low then we can investigate this, just give us a call on 133933 or speak to LiveChat: http://tel.st/gq6m

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

james_cain

Hi Brodie,

I understand that PING is low in network priority but the stuttering and buffering of our video services combined with unplayable online gaming are really not right given we are on the top tier ADSL plan. Ping and speedtest are not definitive but are indicative of network issues combined with other evidence. Given that running the same tests at 7am on a weekday produces a totally different result (result is appropriate to sync speed and data transfer type) I would think that network congestion on the notorious BWKS exchange is extremely high at peak times?

I think it is odd that Telsta tell me that for my home connection letency is not a factor in data transfer but for the $7000 per month fibre optic connection I have at work they tell me that the reason it is slow to the USA is exactly this same level of latency?

I am happy to contact support but there is no point me having to wade my way through level one with the turn it off and back on again stuff, it is worthless. Is there any way I can advance to level 2 or 3 support directly?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi james_cain,

We can only respond to the information that you provide and it is only this last post that you mentioned the issue is only at night. 

We are aware of congestion affecting some ADSL DSLAMS in the BWKS exchange. At this time I can only advise that you submit a formal complaint via https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints so that a case manager can discuss the options available to you.

- Shelly

james_cain

Thanks Shelly,

I am still conducting tests to confirm whether it is only at night but it is difficult due to my work hours. When I made the first post it was hard to pin down specific times but since then I have had a chance to conduct some simple although brief tests in the morning and the performance does seem better.

I will lodge a complaint using the link you provided.

Regards,

James

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit