heathjones1
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL 2+ very slow download speed 2.5 Mbps

Internet has been slow for the past few months, have started doing a few speed test to confirm actual results.

Consistently have download speed of 2.5 Mbps - 3 Mpbs and upload speed of around 0.5 Mbps.

Data usage is only at 14% of my monthly allowance.

Download speed is significantly higer if I use my mobile phone as a portable hotspot.

Telstra have confirmed on two separate occasions that there are no line issues in the area.  Not sure what is happening here.  Post code for the service is 4556.

It is slow on multiple devices (both mobile phones using wifi and three laptops).  I purchased a new router (dual band wireless Dlink N750 model) to see if that would fix anything, but no difference at all.

What else can I try, this is very frustrating.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: ADSL 2+ very slow download speed 2.5 Mbps

Hi Heath,

2.5 mbps download is well within the acceptable download for ADSL/ADSL2+ services.

Do you know what your speed was previously?

When performing the speed test, are you making sure that there are no additional WiFi devices connected to your modem (smart phones, gaming consoles, entertainment) and that the speed test was performed on a computer connected via LAN with no file sharing or cloud programs running?

Have you performed an isolation test (http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...) or tried adjusting the line profile (https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles) to see if this makes any difference?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

adsluser

I have had the same issue for several months. My download is at times down to 2 and upload at .45. No line issues have been noted. I know this is far slower than in the past as now it can take 30 minutes to download a movie ( less than 5 minutes in the past) and I continually get time outs when browsing. This was never an issue. I am now getting the impression that the servers that are being used by Telstra are being over utilised.

This is obviously not an isolated event and it seems Telstra cannot deal with the issue. Perhaps its time to move on ?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi adsluser,

If you are concerned about your service being impacted by high demand in your area, you can check this link to see if there are currently any plans to upgrade the DSLAM. This spreadsheet is usually updated on a weekly basis: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/backhaul-upgrade-list.xls

Typically customers impacted by high demand find that the speed increases outside peak periods which is generally 3pm - 10pm.

If you are uncertain if this applies to you and have had a marked decrease in speed, please ensure that you perform a speed test as outlined in my last post on this thread and contact Tech Support on 133 933 or via Live Chat to have your service tested further.

Did you check the links that were included in my previous post?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

adsluser

Hi,

I have been through tech support and line faults. I was apparently then directed through n alternate server with limited though measurable success. I have isolated the wifi modem, pc, and splitter. All suggest an outside issue. As noted, the stark variation in download times that has occurred over recent months would suggest that an issue is present.

Regards.

adsluser

Icequeen76

I have just switched to Telstra and have had nothing but problems first modem was faulty received the new modem and some pages don't open some do for example YouTube will time out I can get on Facebook but not Facebook games even the Telstra page times out so I have to use my iPad for this.....
Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Icequeen76,

I'm sorry to hear you've had nothing but issues so far Smiley Sad

If you have ongoing issues then it would be best to contact us again as this needs further investigation. You can call on 13 22 00 or speak to LiveChat: http://tel.st/gq6m to investigate further.

Brodie

Himsy
Level 2: Rookie

I'm finding the very same thing.

I recently switched from iinet (consistently had over 5 mbps d/l speed with them)

Now with Telstra and their new modem I only get up to 4 mpbs on a good day.

Very often the download speed will run for hours at a decent speed then abruptly reduces to between 1 and 2 mpbs... pretty much making use of the internet useless.... I seem to be paying for a product that VERY OFTEN doesn't work as it should.

If they can't buck their ideas up I'm going back to the provider who gave me a consistently good d/l speed

Himsy

apparently I need to reset my browser...... if I'm unsure how to do this I will need to pay $120.00 to find out how......

my browser history could be full and that may be why I'm getting shocking download speeds

after explaining that i clear my history daily the connection mysteriously ended................

Jon_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Himsy, 

Happy to take a look at your service for you, just to clarify you have tried isolating the service?

Can you recall the times that the speed drops off?

Feel free to private message me if the isolation yields no results.

- Jon

Himsy

Hi Jon,

I received a mobile text message from Harry a Telstra  technician on the 3rd Oct (4 days ago) regarding my complaint about my recent appalling ADSL 2 download speeds.

His message only said he had called about my complaint but that it looks like I was unavailable.

His number only came through as unknown and he left no contact number/details, so I have been unable to get in contact with him.

I have heard from no one from Telstra since that message. 

Yes I have tried isolating the service...... makes no difference to speed.

I have consistently had less than 2mbps for over a month now.

The speed went back up to the past normal speed of more than 4mbps once at about 4pm. 

Jon_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Himsy, private message me and we can chase this up for you.

- Jon

1s

Hey is that slow! My telstra bill is for ADSL 2+ since the beginning of 2012 and since the beginning of this year my speeds have been terrible, down to 0.15Mbps down and 0.07 up; documented using Ookla. Complaints and case managers have done nothing to get my speed up so I can use iView and stream bigpond movies. Told there is NO line fault; problem is congestion which is NOT a fault AND Telstra are signing up new customers in the area!!! Was offered $20 off monthly bill but not applied because I want to take this further. About time Aus. followed other countries and require lower speed limits to be documented in contracts and not the current 'up to' speeds with no lower limit. In my area there is no other ISP that does not use Telstra lines. No NBN on the drawing board either.

Wonder why there are so many suicides in rural ares?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 1s,

We are aware of the current issues with high demand on our ADSL DSLAMs, and we do have a plan to address these issues, but unfortunately they can’t all be done at once. The following link is updated regularly with details of the DSLAMs currently planned to have relief applied and those that have had the work completed. http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tw-report-backhaul-upgrade.xls

As it sounds like you already have a response from our complaint manager regarding how they can assist in the interim until the network is upgraded to relieve the demand on your local DSLAM, I will not be able to provide any further assistance regarding this issue.

If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, then the following contact can offer support.

Lifeline - 13 11 14 or www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/

Suicide Call Back Service - 1300 659 467 or www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au

Kids Helpline - 1800 55 1800 or www.kidshelp.com.au

MensLine Australia - 1300 78 99 78 

Beyondblue Support Service - 1300 22 4636 or www.beyondblue.org.au 

SANE Australia Helpline - 1800 18 SANE (7263) or www.sane.org 

- Shelly

Siegfried

Dear Telstra,

I have a technicolor 797n v3 modem and ADSL2+ and live 4 km out of Sunbury.

The download speeds in my area have never been very good but have recently become unacceptably slow.

A speed test gave these results:

Ping: 25ms

Download speed: 7.35Mbps

Upload speed: 0.83 Mbps.

I am trying to download a purchase (RoxioEasyCD 1.71GB) and have been singularly unsuccessful. The download speed shown in the windows explorer box is 199 kps.At this rate is should download in 2:30h! It does not even do this as it stops half way through with an error message. It does not permit to to resume to download.

This is not the case on slow downloads. Other downloads have caude me similar grieve.

What do I need to do to speed up my downloads?

Regards,

Helmut

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Helmut, 

Those speeds look good to me, especially since you are 4km out. 

There are several things you can look at to increase your download performance.

• Wireless vs Ethernet connection - Connect your device directly to your modem via an Ethernet cable. A direct Ethernet connection give you a better flow of data. 

• Other users - Other users will be using/sharing your bandwidth. Make sure no one else is using your internet connection. Kick other users off, check to see what other devices are connected and turn them off or disconnect their connection. 

• Other applications or programs - Check what other applications are running in the background using your bandwidth, and turn them off. Examples of these applications include Peer-2-peer/torrenting programs downloading and uploading music and video, cloud services syncing data to the cloud and Malware or virus’.  Also you can try to restart the computer before starting your download.

- Peer to Peer or Torrenting - some file sharing programs sit in the background and use up a heap of your bandwidth while sharing files with others.  Make sure you either clear the lists or fully close down the file sharing program.

- Virus' or spyware - These can increase your bandwidth by secretly accessing and sending out data.  So you should ensure you have good security software that has both virus and spyware protection.  Run a virus scan on all your devices connected to your home network.

- Photo Streaming/Cloud backup apps (eg iCloud, Dropbox etc). If you have multiple devices on the one account, this means that when photos are saved or taken, they will automatically stream to the cloud and then download onto each device.

• Global location - when download a large file you may be given the option to choose which server you connect to.  Choose one which is the geographically closest to you.  Also the download speed of some files are dependent on the amount of users accessing that same server and the outgoing limitations placed on that server.

• An extreme measure you can try is to reset your modem to factory default settings.  This will bring the modem to its 'out-of-the-box' settings and so any modifications you made to it, like putting in your BigPond username and password (if you have an ADSL connection), personalised WiFi SSID & password, port forwarding etc. will be deleted.

Hope this helps.

- Ben 

aamer21

I have been getting really bad download speeds for more than a week now on my ADSL2+ connection.

Speedtest results on 17/07/2015  - 11:30 PM(off peak time) is just 3 Mbps DL and .55Mbps UL

A 10MB file download has taken me 10mins!!!!  It used to be under a minute before.

I rang up tech support yesterday and according to them this speed is still acceptable and there are no faults on my line.

I have had the connection for 7 years now and never had DL this slow.

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Aamer21, 

I can appreciate that this is frustrating for you. 

A couple of things that you may want to try can be found:-  Is your ADSL service running as fast as it could be?

While you are on the Crowd Support site, have a browse around, as you may find some really useful information provided by our other contributors. 

-   Lindy 

Bijan1

Did you find a solution to this?

That generic Telstra answer was terrible.

I have the same issue on an out of the box gateway and would love to hear how you fixed it.

ChuckyLives

Hi

I am having the same issues at the same postcode 4556.

I have tracked download speeds for a month and it is consistently below 1.4mbps. This has declined from 12months ago when we first connected. Some assistance would be good.

Chris32
Level 4: Private Eye

Guys there is no problem with ur service this basicly telstra over loading there lines with new customers why? Cause they dont wanna spend more money to upgrade exchanges ect.... i have notice this because i have lived in the same house for over 15 years basicly when we frist got adsl+2 we got the best speeds 20mds down 1.5 up and now i get 5 mbs down max and 0.9 up max
Chris32
Level 4: Private Eye

I have transfered my adsl+2 to optus why? Because telstra have been absolutely hopless and have breached 3 acts of the TIO witch i will be taking up with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman on monday the 4th when they reopen. The good thing is telstra have no stake in the NBN what so ever so every one should make the switch to another isp soon as they can they will be just like everyother supplier when it comes to the nbn
Ernest999
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Chris32, it's disappointing to hear that you've had an experience that has left you feeling that you needed to move your service.
-Ern

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit