Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL congestion Lake Cathie NSW exchange - surely this is an issue for the telecom ombudsman

Answered

I have posted on this topic before and am completely disillusioned with Telstra's response. I have tried to connect to ADSL 1 and ADSL 2 at the Lake Cathie NSW exchange on 3 occasions over recent months with Telstra (twice) and iinet (once). I am 5.2 kms from the exchange so do not expect great speeds however my experience so far has been:

·         I can only log on using modulation GMDT if at all

·         The line is apparently syncing at a speed of 2.5 mps (as per my modem firmware)

·         actual download speeds are 6 kpbs or less  - practically useless

Telstra are telling me its congestion at the local exchange however I have concerns with this as:

1.     some of my close neighbours are on ADSL 2 with adequate speeds

2.     the previous occupant of this rental house had OK ADSL speeds

3.     the previous occupant of the house said he had problems with the line which were addressed by a technician visit

4.     if I log on at 2 am in the morning the speed is still 6-10 kpbs

So my very specific questions are:

·         Does congestion affect everyone in the exchange equally i.e. is everyone getting ADSL 2 speeds of 6 kpbs (I don’t think so based on my neighbours experience)

·         Could it be my particular port being slow as opposed to others in the exchange that are fine (I suspect this is the case)

·         Does congestion occur at 2am at a rural exchange in NSW  - I find it hard to believe that if congestion is the case of my problem I can’t log on at 2am when everyone is asleep

I have had several calls to help desk and the response if always “your exchange is congested, we can switch you to mobile board band or cancel your contract if you want”.

The problem is that 3/4G is no good for internet after about 7am in the morning – it simply is too overloaded to be of any use for most of the day.

Telstra also seem reluctant to the point of refusal to send a technician to my house to check thing out since they say its congestion issue and a waste of time. I have told them I happy to pay the call out fee in need but I am still waiting to confirm if they will actually send somebody.

If congestion at this exchange is really so bad then how can Telstra continue to sell ADSL connections at this exchange – surely this is an issue for the telecom ombudsman?

I run a small business for home so ADSL is critical to me but I cannot believe that in a growing regional area I seem to be left with no internet connection.

How can this be the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL congestion Lake Cathie NSW exchange - surely this is an issue for the telecom ombudsman

After almost 6 weeks of talking to tech support and being told it was a congestion issue causing all my problems, Telstra finally agreed to send a technician out to my place.  They were extremely reluctant to do this notwithstanding I was happy to pay the cost.

The technician made a call to the exchange while driving to my house and the problem was fixed 10 minutes later.

So it was not a congestion issue after all - the technician simply added some code to my line at the exchange to halve the speed of the line to prevent overloading since I am so far away from the exchange. I now get about 1 to 1.5 mps speed which is OK.

It’s unbelievable that this guy fixed my problem in 1 minute when I have literally spent several hours on the phone to tech support and complaints.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: ADSL congestion Lake Cathie NSW exchange - surely this is an issue for the telecom ombudsman

Hi Patatr,

Some of this was answered in my previous response, explaining that we are not always able to block new applications for ADSL ports on these exchanges. Some technologies would also block phone services from being connected, which would violate the USO Agreement (http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/commitments/uso/). Where possible however blocks are placed to reduce further impact.

We do have plans in place to improve the experience of customers and the following link is updated weekly to reflect the current planned exchanges where relief will be applied. http://telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/backhaul-upgrade-list.xls

When it comes to ADSL speed issues, I always recommend customers perform the following steps. I am sure that you have gone through this previously, but I would recommend having a read through to confirm that a simple fix has not been overlooked. 

NOTE: as your previous post indicated that you are with another service provider, you may wish to refer to their FAQs for more information on how you can adjust these profiles.

3. When performing speed tests, you should also make sure that there is only one devices connected to the modem via LAN cable and all WiFi devices (including smart phones, gaming consoles and media centres).

4. Check to make sure no programs are running on the computer that access the internet such as Skype, file sharing and cloud services.

5. Try multiple test sites the results also depend on the load on the server you are testing to. Some popular sites are: http://www.speedtest.net/  

If you find the speed improves with the computer connected via LAN versus WiFi, then you might want to have a look at some general WiFi troubleshooting: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

After almost 6 weeks of talking to tech support and being told it was a congestion issue causing all my problems, Telstra finally agreed to send a technician out to my place.  They were extremely reluctant to do this notwithstanding I was happy to pay the cost.

The technician made a call to the exchange while driving to my house and the problem was fixed 10 minutes later.

So it was not a congestion issue after all - the technician simply added some code to my line at the exchange to halve the speed of the line to prevent overloading since I am so far away from the exchange. I now get about 1 to 1.5 mps speed which is OK.

It’s unbelievable that this guy fixed my problem in 1 minute when I have literally spent several hours on the phone to tech support and complaints.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi patatr,

I agree. Just because there is a known issue with the exchange, or even an outage, our Tech Support teams should still be performing standard troubleshooting, which includes adjusting the line profile.

I can only apologise that we dropped the ball on this one.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Shelley,

I have had exactly the same experience as patatr on Telstra ADSL, namely slow internet speeds (6kbps upload and download) and a complete unwillingness of Telstra to do anything about it except to say it was a congestion problem . I should have twigged there were problems when the technician that installed the system  in early November said " if you have problems just ring Telstra and complain, and keep doing it!"

We stuck it for nearly 3 weeks, (fortunately I don't run a business from home), and I rang Telstra for the last time and told them to disconnect the system as it was useless.  They did do this with no termination fees and I didn't bother contacting any other ADSL provider as I reasoned it was a hardware/congestion problem and other providers would have the same issues as they use the same infrastructure.I have gone, temporarily I hope, to Optus Mobile broadband as they have a new tower in Lake Cathie (Telstra wireless Broadband was woeful.)

If the fix is as simple as has been indicated here I will happily resign with Telstra but how do I get some one to come and look at the problem?

I would be grateful for some assistance.

Thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Smallbob,

Do you by any chance have a reference number from when you had this looked into? If you do, can you send it to me via Private Message? I will advise further once I take a look at the history.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Smallbob's reply

"The following questions I was hoping to ask smallBob"
I have only just signed up for these forums and have no idea how to private message. I was wondering how your Optus Mobile broad band was working for you ? Is it using your phone as a modem or a free standing modem? You said you were hoping it was only temporary, is that because the internet quality is bad? Or some other issue ?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit