Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

ADSL connection Frustration

Answered

ADSL Connection Frustration

The original situation

My friend was running a small business and had ‘Commander’ as his phone service provider, with a business phone line with ADSL connected at his home in addition to his home telephone line, which all worked well for many years.

The sale of the business

In Jan 2015 he sold the business, and the business phone line at his home minus the ADSL was to be transferred to the new owners of the business as part of that business transfer.

The ADSL was to be transferred to his home phone line.

‘Commander’ was notified of the transfer and the date 14th Jan 2015 was set for the transfer to take place, in the interim all incoming calls on that line were to be ‘call forwarded’ to the new business operators phone number.

Transfer the phone line to new owners

Nothing changed with the line until March 2015 even after he made several phone calls to ‘Commander’ regarding the transfer, and each time being told that the line had been transferred and was now in the name of the new owners, so they could not act upon his requests, and the ADSL had been set up on his home phone line.

Each time he told ‘Commander’ that the line and ADSL at his house were still operating as previously they had before any changes.

That if the ‘call forward’ was turned off at his house (on the business line), calls to the business number rang on that line at his house.

Also if the ADSL connection was physically changed over to the home phone line at his house there was no ADSL connection at his computer.

Change of Phone Service Provider

On the 2nd March 2015 (a month and a half after the agreed transfer date) he decided that as ‘Commander’ could not do the job maybe he should get another service provider who could.

So he arranged the transfer of his home phone line and ADSL to ‘Telstra’, to get right away from the problem with ‘Commander’.

The phone line was transferred by 13th March 2015 and notification of the ADSL connection was for 20th March 2015.

Commander gets its act together – but too late

On 18th March 2015 the original phone service provider ‘Commander’ called saying they had received notification of the change of service provider and asked why he had changed providers, and it was explained to them that they had ample time to rectify the problems, but still the problems persisted, so it was decided a change was needed.

Within 24 hours the ADSL was connected to the home phone line at the house, even though the line itself was supposedly now with ‘Telstra’.

However the business phone line with ADSL was also still connected at the house.

On 19th March 2015 the modem and all (3) home phones were connected to the home phone line giving both phone and internet service on that line. The Fax machine was left on the business line alone, with ‘call forward’ activated.

ADSL connection with Telstra

On 20th March 2015 the ADSL connection went dead, as a result of the changeover to ‘Telstra’ and never came back on.

A call to ‘Telstra support centre’ on 132200 resulted in the operator ‘Shana’ saying that there was something wrong with his line and that a technician would have to come out to check. It was explained to her that it worked fine until ‘Telstra’ shut off the ‘Commander’ feed to put their feed on, now it doesn’t work.

‘Shana’ (Telstra support centre) set the date for 30th March 2015 for the technician to come to check the line. It was pointed out to her that the line was supposed to be connected today 20th March 2015 and it is still incomplete, and to wait a further 10 days is beyond reason. Her response was  – “Take it or leave it”.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET REASONABLE SERVICE FROM THESE TELCO'S

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL connection Frustration

Hi rumclo,

I did a data gather on the Telstra line (the line number the fault was raised on) and can see the activities you mentioned above under Re-connection.  The results show, a username (which is not a BigPond username) so I'm assuming is the 'Commander' username, trying to connect but failing authentication because those details are not in our system.   I can then see a BigPond username turn up in the system.  It too fails authentication but the reason given is that the password the modem is providing is incorrect.  

This indicates that everything is right to go, the modem is 'knocking on the door'  but the service will not allow a connection because the password it is giving is not the correct one.  The service should authenticate and connect once the correct password has been provided.  

Your friend can obtain the correct password by using the following web form, https://myacct.telstra.com/forgottenPassword?execution=e1s1 The system will sent a text message to his registered mobile phone.  Please be aware that the password is case sensitive so will need to be entered into the modem exactly as sent.     

If this is still not working there are 2 other options to try.  Th first is to contact our tech team on 133 933 or via Live Chat to get the password reset and try again. The second option is to reset the TG797n V3 to its factory default settings and re-enter the BigPond details.  To do this get a paperclip, or something similar, and press and hold it into the reset hole at the back of the T-Gateway, keep in pressed in for 15 seconds. Give it 2-5 minutes to fire back up. Alternatively you may prefer to do this via the modems interface.

Hope this helps

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Response to Ben_Telstra

Hooray! you sorted it out, many thanks.

On your comment regarding the Password, I remembered that it was changed prior to the connection being made as it appeared to be a default password that all new modems get.

So I tried the original password and it worked.

So does this mean that we are stuck with the Telstra Account Password different to the modem log-on Password, or can the modem Password be changed to the new Password like the account was.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

DSLCPLT*
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey rumclo,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I can appreciate your concerns for the very poor situation that your friend has found themselves in Smiley Sad It does sound like there is a fault with the phone line that is causing the delay in the new services being activated with us. We do have the earliest appointments for these faults to be fixed selected and I do apologise if this will take until the 30/03/2015 to be completed.

I hope that this order is completed for you friend after the fault has been repaired and if they would like an update on the status of the order then the Live Chat team is available to assist in real time 24/7 via:

http://tel.st/hsc3

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Sorry but I only understand Australian English

Highlighted

Thanks for your input; but do you really expect me to believe that the line became faulty in the few minutes between Telstra disconnecting the other working ADSL feed and connecting their ADSL feed a few minutes later, and then why not replace the original ADSL on the line so that at least there is a service connected.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rumclo,

This is disappointing to hear, are you able to advise if you have a reference relating to the order you made with Telstra so we can follow up for you?

Highlighted

Yes I have numbers; Connection tracking Ref; 1-413823408259

Highlighted

Sorry wrong key.

Yes I have numbers        Connection Tracking Ref; 1-413823408259

Telstra Enquiry Ref; INT 1-426374702907

Case ID Reference; 1 555 12324

Complaint Ref No; 1-427581936752

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rumclo, 

Looking at the notes attached to the Case ID reference number 1 555 12324, it looks like there is foreign battery on the phone line and a field technician has been organised to investigate where this is happening and fix it.  The technician has until 7pm on the 30th March 2015 to complete this.

If you friend has moved over from another ISP to Telstra, I would recommend that you check his modem to make sure that the new Telstra/BigPond username and password are saved into the modem so that authorisation can happen and an internet connection can be established.

The username is generally the main BigPond email address, if your friend doesn't know the username and password a call to 133 933 or our Live Chat team can ID him and provide them, alternatively he can get them from the following links.

We have instructions on how to access the modem and enter these details on the following page: 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

Please note that even though this page deals with WiFi issues, under item 3 

3. Change the WiFi Channel on the Router. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rumclo, 

I've checked the notes attached to the Case ID reference number 1 555 12324, and it looks like there is foreign battery on the phone line so a field technician has been organised to investigate where this is happening and fix it.  The technician has until 7pm on the 30th March 2015 to complete this.

If you friend has moved over from another ISP to Telstra, I would recommend that you check his modem to make sure that his new BigPond username and password are saved into the modem so that authorisation can happen and an internet connection can be established.

The username is generally the main BigPond email address, if your friend doesn't know the username and password a call to 133 933 or our Live Chat team will be able to provide those details, alternatively he can get them from the following links.

We have instructions on how to access the modem and enter these details on the following page: 

Please note that even though this page deals with WiFi issues, under item 3, Change the WiFi Channel on the Router, there is a list of BigPond provided modems.  Clicking on the link will take you to another page which will provide you with instructions on how to access the modems user interface and enter the BigPond details.  This can be found halfway down that page under the title 'How to Enter Your Username and Password into.. (modem name)'

After entering the BigPond details into the modem your friend may get access to the internet but it will not be stable until after the field technician is able to clear the foreign battery from that line.

- Ben 

Highlighted

Ben thanks for your attempt to sort out this problem;

1. The Modem is a TG797n V3 supplied by Telstra .
  2. The Modem works fine on the ‘Commander’ ADSL signal on another line.
  3. The modem does not find an ADSL signal on the Telstra line.
    1. ‘WAN’ LED indicates that it is trying to detect a DSL signal, but cannot find one.
    2. ‘ECO’ LED indicates that one of the required services has failed.
  4. The Username and Password have been changed when the ADSL lines to the modem are changed, however without entering the Username or Password we should still get a ‘WAN’ and an ‘ECO’ indication that a signal is present, but this is not the case.

I maintain that the problem is not to do with the line at the house; but is caused by something not completed at the exchange where the ADSL signal is connected to the line.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rumclo, 

1. If you need it, the direct link to the instructions on how to add the BigPond username and password to the TG797n V3 is here.  Half way down you will find the instructions under the heading How to Enter Your Username and Password into the T-Gateway TG797 ADSL Modem.

2. Just to clarify, What I'm understanding is that our friend has 2 ADSL lines?  A phone line activated for Telstra ADSL and one for 'Commander' ADSL?  

3 & 4.The case notes for reference number  1 555 12324, this morning, is now saying that an outage affecting the a lot of phone lines in that area was restored yesterday afternoon.  This could be the reason that you were not getting an DSL signal.  However the foreign battery on the line may still be messing with it. 

The jumpering looks to have been done at the exchange end.

Now that the outage has been restored, can you try connecting the BigPond modem, the TG797n V3, with the BigPond username and password saved into it, onto the line that the fault was raised on and see how you go.  

If point 2, is correct  can you try connecting the BigPond modem to the other line and see if it authenticates, it's possible you have the BigPond modem is connected to the 'Commander' line.

Unfortunately the information I can give out on a public forum is very limited, so I would recommend contacting our Live Chat team if you need further information.

- Ben 

Highlighted

Response to Ben_Telstra

1. I am not having problems with the Username and Password, as I have changed back and forth a number of times from the Commander line to the Telstra line.
  2. If you check with the original posting of this thread, you will see that he had one line with a phone + ADSL for the business and a second phone only line for private use. Commander then connected an ADSL line to the private line which was transferred to Telstra on 20/03/2015 and subsequently failed. Now he has only ADSL on the business line, which is due to be transferred to the new owner of the business any day now. So hence there is a panic here.
  3. In regard to the case notes, there has been no effect to either line here, until the changeover of the ADSL from Commander to Telstra.
  4. The ADSL has not been interrupted on the business line, and as I understand it, both lines are on the same network, therefore it is logical to expect that the private line should enjoy the same good service as the business line.

Jumpering

You mentioned that the jumpering had been done at the exchange end; well that is exactly what Commander said for a month and a half after they supposedly connected ADSL, until my friend decided to transfer to Telstra, and then within 24 hours they found that something was not connected and they got ADSL on line, but it was too late the transfer was in effect.

Re-connection

As per your suggestion I have changed the ADSL lines over to put the modem back onto the Telstra line which was supposed to have ADSL connected on 20/03/2015.

After connecting, the TG797n V3 (with Commander Username and Password still in memory) the LED indications were as follows;

Ethernet              =             Flashing Green

Wireless               =             Off

Voice                     =             Off

WAN                     =             Solid Green

Internet               =             Solid Red

DECT                      =             Off

WPS                       =             Off

ECO                        =             Solid Red

After entering the Telstra Username and Password the following changes occurred;

Internet               =             Off for a period of about 2 minutes, then reverted to Solid Red again

Changing the lines back to put the modem on the Commander line (with the Telstra Username and Password still in memory) has the same effect.

With the modem connected to the Commander line and using the Commander Username and Password the ADSL works.  (Remember that this line is due to be transferred).

As you can see the ADSL signal is not connected on the Telstra line.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi rumclo,

I did a data gather on the Telstra line (the line number the fault was raised on) and can see the activities you mentioned above under Re-connection.  The results show, a username (which is not a BigPond username) so I'm assuming is the 'Commander' username, trying to connect but failing authentication because those details are not in our system.   I can then see a BigPond username turn up in the system.  It too fails authentication but the reason given is that the password the modem is providing is incorrect.  

This indicates that everything is right to go, the modem is 'knocking on the door'  but the service will not allow a connection because the password it is giving is not the correct one.  The service should authenticate and connect once the correct password has been provided.  

Your friend can obtain the correct password by using the following web form, https://myacct.telstra.com/forgottenPassword?execution=e1s1 The system will sent a text message to his registered mobile phone.  Please be aware that the password is case sensitive so will need to be entered into the modem exactly as sent.     

If this is still not working there are 2 other options to try.  Th first is to contact our tech team on 133 933 or via Live Chat to get the password reset and try again. The second option is to reset the TG797n V3 to its factory default settings and re-enter the BigPond details.  To do this get a paperclip, or something similar, and press and hold it into the reset hole at the back of the T-Gateway, keep in pressed in for 15 seconds. Give it 2-5 minutes to fire back up. Alternatively you may prefer to do this via the modems interface.

Hope this helps

Ben

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Response to Ben_Telstra

Hooray! you sorted it out, many thanks.

On your comment regarding the Password, I remembered that it was changed prior to the connection being made as it appeared to be a default password that all new modems get.

So I tried the original password and it worked.

So does this mean that we are stuck with the Telstra Account Password different to the modem log-on Password, or can the modem Password be changed to the new Password like the account was.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rumclo, 

Glad to hear it's sorted! 

To change the password, to something less generic, please log into the MyAccount section using the username/BigPond email address.  You should have the option to change the password.  This will re-align the system to accept the new password.  Just remember to save that new password in the modem so you don't get disconnected again.

Cheers

Ben

Highlighted

Response to Ben_Telstra

I have raised this question 'Changing ADSL Password' as a new thread on crowd support.

I will respond on that thread shortly in regard to your comment; which sounds like what I did initially to start this mess.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit