Elwyn1
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL Connection speed

Answered

Hi,

currently have a NetGear D7000v2, and our connection stats are showing connection speed of 17686kbs downstream and 952kbs upstream. 

line attenuation downstreak of 28.3db and 12.6db upstream and noise margin for both around 6db.

any ideas on what can be done to improve? On ADSL as I'm in Dooralong NSW and thats as good as we can get. 500m from the sub exchange.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL Connection speed

There is not much you can do to increase your speed. 17.6 Mbps down is about right for a attenuation of 28.3 db. The maximum upload speed on ADSL is 1 Mbps so 952 Kbps is about right for the upload speed. The attenuation is a bit high for a distance of 500 Meters but street cabling doesn't always take a direct route from the exchange to your premises.

If your device are connected by WiFi and you are getting less than 16 Mbps when you do an internet speed test there are a couple off things you could do to increase the internet speed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Accepted Solution

There is not much you can do to increase your speed. 17.6 Mbps down is about right for a attenuation of 28.3 db. The maximum upload speed on ADSL is 1 Mbps so 952 Kbps is about right for the upload speed. The attenuation is a bit high for a distance of 500 Meters but street cabling doesn't always take a direct route from the exchange to your premises.

If your device are connected by WiFi and you are getting less than 16 Mbps when you do an internet speed test there are a couple off things you could do to increase the internet speed.

View solution in original post

Elwyn1
Level 2: Rookie

thanks! I guess that as the speed keeps fluctuating from really slow to pretty good, it must be something like my cabling at home, or the cabling from street to house (it's long as I'm on a rural property) - it wouldn't be because where on a tiny exchange that's 20km from the real exchange in town 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit