Kernel
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL dropouts - not just a myth!!

Answered

Hi,

Recently been getting droupouts from Telstra (full line dropout where I lose the light on the adsl sync on the modem).  Very random, sometimes none in a day and sometimes more than a dozen.

Called Telstra - did the isolation test - they asked me to do random things like change the phone cables which I did.

I have since gone and purchased 2 new ADSL modems thinking it could be my equipment.  Still no luck.

Called Telstra again and they organised a tech to come out.  He did his tests and said wow your ADSL is great - it's like you have NBN (the tophat is directly across the road), and then said nothing wrong with the line.

Thing is I keep getting these dropouts.

Just this morning dropouts ocurred:
06/10 8:03am
06/10 8:10am
06/10 8:27am

06/10 8:48am

From 2 days ago when I was at my computer:

04/10 5:05pm
04/10 5:09pm
04/10 5:23pm
04/10 5:29pm

I am sure that there have been more when I was not around.

The issue I have is that when the tech comes out again he said it would cost $200 for the callout.  If the service works when they come out I don't want to get stitched up for $200.

Any ideas on what can I do to get this really irritating fault fixed without incurring the callout fee?

I only have Telstra available in my area so no churning available, no cable in the area and I am pretty sure we are the absolutely last on the list for NBN so this adsl connection is all I have.

Is there a non-Telstra company that you can pay to come and 'FIX' the issue?  I want to know what the issue is not be left out of pocket with a still non fully functioning service.

any ideas welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kernel
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL dropouts - not just a myth!!

Well I may have stumbled upon the answer.

Through an obscure forum post I discovered that when you log into "My Bigpond" and click on your internet account there is an option called configure.

This lets you put profiles onto your ADSL. The default 'Standard' is what I was on and there are multiple options for 'noise protection' i.e.

Standard = Provides a good balance between stability and speed

Noise Profile 1 = This setting adds a low level of noise protection to your ADSL2+ line. This can be used to improve some stability issues...

Noise Profile 2 = better protection than 1 etc etc.

The one I finally picked was:

Noise Profile 4
This setting adds a very high level of noise protection to your ADSL2+ line. This can be used to improve some stability issues, which may help solve T-Box and other streaming video service issues, at the expense of a reduced speed.

I have noticed a drop in speed but given that I am so close to the top hat this is a drop from 13 - 15Mb to around 9 - 10Mb which I find acceptable given my sitiuation.

It's early days but I have now been through 2 days with no dropouts. Here's hoping it continues...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

All I can suggest is to do the following:

Document when these dropouts occur.  If the connection is fine when the Tech is there, then they won't escalate as they can't see a problem.

Ask your neighbours if they are having similar problems. This helps to find out if it is a broader problem than just one connection.

Download your modem logs, this will show when the modem drops sync when you aren't there.  You might be able to pick out specific times of day when it is occuring.  It is also a good source of evidence.

Then call Telstra back via Livechat so you can show them the Modem Logs.  Assuming that it isn't a problem that another device in your house is causing (a back to base alarm that has been set up incorrectly would be an example), then you shouldn't get hit with the callout fee.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kernel
Accepted Solution

Well I may have stumbled upon the answer.

Through an obscure forum post I discovered that when you log into "My Bigpond" and click on your internet account there is an option called configure.

This lets you put profiles onto your ADSL. The default 'Standard' is what I was on and there are multiple options for 'noise protection' i.e.

Standard = Provides a good balance between stability and speed

Noise Profile 1 = This setting adds a low level of noise protection to your ADSL2+ line. This can be used to improve some stability issues...

Noise Profile 2 = better protection than 1 etc etc.

The one I finally picked was:

Noise Profile 4
This setting adds a very high level of noise protection to your ADSL2+ line. This can be used to improve some stability issues, which may help solve T-Box and other streaming video service issues, at the expense of a reduced speed.

I have noticed a drop in speed but given that I am so close to the top hat this is a drop from 13 - 15Mb to around 9 - 10Mb which I find acceptable given my sitiuation.

It's early days but I have now been through 2 days with no dropouts. Here's hoping it continues...

View solution in original post

Nadnerb
Level 1: Cadet

I have just resolved an ongoing issue with my ADSL 2+ connection.

For months my ADSL connection has been getting slower and dropping out more and more. I complained to my carrier, but no one seemed to be able to fix the issue. Finally, someone suggested the following...

Get an AM radio... tune it to the lowest frequency... put it close to the power adapters in your house, starting with those closest to your ADSL line and modem... unplug each adapter, one at a time, and listen to see if the interference heard on the radio reduces noticeably.

I did this and found that I had one adapter (which was actually warm to touch) that caused the interference to drop when I unplugged it. I then checked my ADSL speed and found that I had gained about 4 Mbps and I haven't had a drop out since.

Apparently, faulty power adapters can emit radio waves that are at just the right frequency to interfere with ADSL connections. Other things like small fluorescent lights, electric motors and other electrical devices can also affect ADSL in a similar way.

So, if you are having problems with your ADSL, grab an AM radio and do this test; you may save yourself a lot of time and inconvenience!

magoo3
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the heads up . After 3 years of drop outs just like the above and countless calls to try and fix it if this does not work eneough is enough . bye Bye 25 years of Telstra...

Ausworkshop4
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am at the same point.  They have been here numerous times over the past 3 months, for the previous 12 months it was working fine.  Now they have given me a modem and said they wouldn't charge me for it because I have been stuffed around so much.   Now my new modem drops out just as much as my old one, 3 times in the past 10 mins, and this new one takes even longer to come back online each time, and I can't see the ligths from a distance because its a flat one.

So that is my compensation, a new modem.  Thanks for nothing Telstra!  My business is going down hill because of all the time I've spent on this and got nowhere.  The case has probably already been marked as closed AGAIN.  I don't know what to do now, I can't just keep ringing them for another 2 months and I have no where else to turn.

Changing to Optus won't help if the problem is with Telstra's phone line.

No one cares!

I keep paying my bill, what can I do? refuse to pay for a service I have not been provided?  Yea, I'm sure that will go smoothly.   I'm furious.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit