Swifty
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL modems and isp changes

Answered

Hi,

I currently use TPG for internet and have an old Telstra modem/router. I'm thinking about changing to Telstra - here is the question (as I'm no technical genius). Is this the process:

Aside from signing up to Telstra and cancelling TPG do i actually have to do anything to my modem/router?

Also, if i replace the modem/router, do i just plug the new one into the phone line and search for it on my laptop and login with the new device password?

I'm thinking that's alla bit easy.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL modems and isp changes

Hey @Swifty

It all depends on how old your old Tesltra modem is.

Ordinarily, it's just as simple as setting up your bigpond username and password into the router once it's all done. Just to make sure, I'd do a "factory reset" on the router to clean out any old configurations.

Heads-up though, don't do that until Telstra have configured your line!

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

View solution in original post

Caaf
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Sort of..

You'd be required to update your username and password via the modems web interface. If it's a named brand modem they tend to be lock to specific ISP's.

It can be easy but in more cases there's stumbling blocks aka technical issues by either yourself or others. Generally the churning process is just a matter of changing the codes at the exchange. Some of the larger ISP's have floor space at the exchange so that requires physical jumper/cable changes (well it did in the old days)

Basically and hopefully you use the Internet till it drops, update the user info, turn off the modem for a bit then back on, generally it's back up and running with the new ISP.

Cheers,
Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Hey @Swifty

It all depends on how old your old Tesltra modem is.

Ordinarily, it's just as simple as setting up your bigpond username and password into the router once it's all done. Just to make sure, I'd do a "factory reset" on the router to clean out any old configurations.

Heads-up though, don't do that until Telstra have configured your line!

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Caaf
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Sort of..

You'd be required to update your username and password via the modems web interface. If it's a named brand modem they tend to be lock to specific ISP's.

It can be easy but in more cases there's stumbling blocks aka technical issues by either yourself or others. Generally the churning process is just a matter of changing the codes at the exchange. Some of the larger ISP's have floor space at the exchange so that requires physical jumper/cable changes (well it did in the old days)

Basically and hopefully you use the Internet till it drops, update the user info, turn off the modem for a bit then back on, generally it's back up and running with the new ISP.

Cheers,
Dave

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit